• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 russet brown birds - Lancashire, England (1 Viewer)

SandH

United Kingdom
We live in Chorley, Lancashire in a fairly rural area with lots of fields and trees. Last night we saw 2 birds we had never seen before. About the size of a crow, but slimmer. They had a russet brown plumage and a dark tail that seemed to fan out. They also had a beak like a finch. At least one of them had a small crest on the back of its head. They made a lot of noise sat in the tree - and all the crows and magpies came and also sat on the tree, watching. It could be that it was some sort of mating ritual or that they were young birds fighting. They both dropped to the ground (field) and were no longer in view. It could be they have been blown off course ? Any ideas what they could be ? (No photos, unfortunately)

Welcome to BirdForum. I wonder if your birds were Jays. They can look quite brownish in certain lights. The rest of the descriptions sounds very good for them.

Hi and welcome to BirdForum. Jay sounds like a good shout.

Attachments

• 52615E40-1BA7-4109-AFCE-A8BC38CEB533.jpeg
    52615E40-1BA7-4109-AFCE-A8BC38CEB533.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BirdForum. I wonder if your birds were Jays. They can look quite brownish in certain lights. The rest of the descriptions sounds very good for them.
Thank you, Andrew. I've just looked Jays up. The birds we saw didn't have blue or white on their backs. Could it be they were youngsters and hadn't developed their colours fully ? The book I'm reading about Jays describes a harsh screech, which sounds right. The tail and wing shape looks right - but the beak doesn't seem quite parrot-y enough

Hi and welcome to BirdForum. Jay sounds like a good shout.
Thank you, Clarke. I've just looked Jays up. The birds we saw didn't have blue or white on their backs. Could it be they were youngsters and hadn't developed their colours fully ? The book I'm reading about Jays describes a harsh screech, which sounds right. The tail and wing shape looks right - but the beak doesn't seem quite parrot-y enough

Hi SandH and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm stuck if it isn't a Jay, I'm afraid.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Oftentimes when I have spotted a jay I only saw the dull part of it. The colourful aspects didnt present themselves as obvious on those occasions. I don't know whether other members would concur with this. On such occasions one has seen what had the appearance of predominantly dull bird for example as with the attached photo. I dont know if this helps.;

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back