• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

I found this orchid while at work on the verge of the M5 near Bristol today.
. Someone has suggested fragrant orchid ? any help appreciated

Attachments

• orchid 1.jpg
    orchid 1.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 98
A trip to Collard Hill, Somerset, on Tuesday for Large Blue also provided Common Twayblade, Greater Butterfly, Common Spotted and Pyramidal Orchids. Bee orchids were also found but I couldn't find the Wasps that have been reported though.

I found this orchid while at work on the verge of the M5 near Bristol today.
. Someone has suggested fragrant orchid ? any help appreciated

It's not a Fragrant Vic, the lip shape is all wrong, and Fragrants don't have any markings on the lip.

It seems to be an odd looking Dact. What were the leaves like?

Rich M

Right folks need some help here. A female friend of mine would like to see bee orchid in Norfolk. Can anyone please help me with a location. I would imagine there are a couple.

Brian Laney.

Hi Brian
They do grow in the dunes/pit up at Wells from what I have heard. My local ones have been chopped this year so no point in telling you where they are. You can find them in the slumped clay up at Overstrand. I haven't been this year yet to check on them though. I am going to a new site tomorrow afternoon where a mate found some last year.

Ian

Bee orchids

Was lucky enough to get an invite to a private hay meadow to help survey the Bee orchid colony. We counted 80 var flavescens amongst the 200 or so Bees.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV33049.JPG
    SNV33049.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 42
  • SNV33057.JPG
    SNV33057.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 31
  • SNV33065.JPG
    SNV33065.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 29
  • SNV33068.JPG
    SNV33068.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 36
  • SNV33071.JPG
    SNV33071.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks rich, the leaves were spotless and slightly narrow if anything .quite a small dainty orchid. the bottom flowers/petals seem to have shrivelled on the tips while the top flowers look like they are yet to open,is this a sign of poor growing conditions maybe ? although the leaves seemed healthy even if it was quite a dainty plant. There were 2 possibly 3 but the others had gone over.found on a very small path edge on the road verge (probably previously disturbed soil with a few bits of whispy grass).

Thanks rich, the leaves were spotless and slightly narrow if anything .quite a small dainty orchid. the bottom flowers/petals seem to have shrivelled on the tips while the top flowers look like they are yet to open,is this a sign of poor growing conditions maybe ? although the leaves seemed healthy even if it was quite a dainty plant. There were 2 possibly 3 but the others had gone over.found on a very small path edge on the road verge (probably previously disturbed soil with a few bits of whispy grass).

It doesn't look in very good condition does it; it also looks like the lip is malformed.

Rich

does anyone know of any sites where bee orchids are growing in large numbers this year? There don't seem to be as many so far this year?

Do they grow at Wye NNR?

I haven't looked for any yet this year, but there are lots of places. Last year there was a whole meadow of them at Blakeney (4000+) see http://norfolkcoastnationaltrust.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/getting-closer-to-naturebee-orchids.html

There is also some at Beeston Common near Sheringham plus lots of other orchids.

If she is near Norwich then the last few years there have been some on the lawn outside Big Yellow Storage near Carrow Road football stadium, and nearby some at Carey's Meadow in Thorpe St Andrew.

Regards,
James
Thanks James for your help here. There are a few to choose from here. She is working in the Brecklands at the moment.

Brian Laney.

Hi Brian
They do grow in the dunes/pit up at Wells from what I have heard. My local ones have been chopped this year so no point in telling you where they are. You can find them in the slumped clay up at Overstrand. I haven't been this year yet to check on them though. I am going to a new site tomorrow afternoon where a mate found some last year.

Ian
Also thanks to you Ian for your help. Will pass the info onto her.

Brian.

Taken in Scotland

Here are some images that i took while in Scotland,found 200+ coral root while looking for small blue butterfly,15 Lesser Twayblade in Abernethy Forest and 500+ Lesserbutterfly orchid while driving found in a field by the road near Aviemore.

Attachments

• AQ5C0017o.jpg
    AQ5C0017o.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
  • AQ5C5725.jpg
    AQ5C5725.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
  • AQ5C5879.jpg
    AQ5C5879.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 62
"Wasp" orchids

Thanks to Slatts for directions to a site which has O.apifera var trollii. Weather was pretty inclement when we visited and it was latish, but Elaine managed a couple of photos in the gloom.

Martin

Attachments

• Wasp orchid  08.JPG
    Wasp orchid 08.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Wasp orchid 02 2.jpg
    Wasp orchid 02 2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Wasp orchid 11 2.jpg
    Wasp orchid 11 2.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 52
A trip to Collard Hill, Somerset, on Tuesday for Large Blue also provided Common Twayblade, Greater Butterfly, Common Spotted and Pyramidal Orchids. Bee orchids were also found but I couldn't find the Wasps that have been reported though.

We had three (of the five) Wasps there yesterday. A darn sight easier than large blue, which took us five hours and was eventually found within 5 mins of our latest possible departure time...

Attachments

• eJCL_6380.jpg
    eJCL_6380.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 53
  • eJCL_6422.jpg
    eJCL_6422.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm a little embarrassed to say so, especially in this company, but i struggle to sort out my marsh orchids; i'm hoping that someone might give me a steer on these photos, taken a couple of days ago at a local Herts site. I'm thinking the first two (same plant) must be Southern Marsh, but do the "Hands Up!" sepals and folded-back lip of the third indicate an Early Marsh?

Bonus question: anyone identify the flies?!

Hi

Whilst the first two may have something of a look of hybrids, they don't look like they are outside the range of variation for Common Spotted. If they are hybrids, then they are second generation or even more than that. The third looks okay for Southern Marsh to me.

Flies - don't know what they are, but amazing photo to show three of the critters inhabiting flowers.

Sean

Thanks to Slatts for directions to a site which has O.apifera var trollii. Weather was pretty inclement when we visited and it was latish, but Elaine managed a couple of photos in the gloom.

Martin

Hi Martin

Were yours on the roadside verge or the sloping bank a little further down on the opposite side of the road?

Sean

Hi Martin

Were yours on the roadside verge or the sloping bank a little further down on the opposite side of the road?

Sean

They were on the roadside verge. Just three plants at that spot, but all "wasps".

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back