• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (2 Viewers)

I was thinking of visiting the Red Helleborine site in Gloucestershire. Does anyone know the current situation there? Will I be able to find the enclosure and then spot any flowering plants at the moment?

Entirely understand if this is too sensitive to provide further information? Phil

I was thinking of visiting the Red Helleborine site in Gloucestershire. Does anyone know the current situation there? Will I be able to find the enclosure and then spot any flowering plants at the moment?

Entirely understand if this is too sensitive to provide further information? Phil

see #476 above

A few photos from Norfolk (and one from Suffolk). Why do I find it so awkward to get photos attached? New tricks, but very old dog? Never been so scared by a Bee Orchid (Holme Dunes). And just a bit early for the Chlorantha in Suffolk. Interesting that the Man Orchids at the Norfolk site are far more profuse than I have ever seen them.
Also, a request: does anybody know of a surefire site for Wasp Orchid in Gloucestershire, with directions? John

Where are you seeing man orchids in Norfolk Ragwort?

It's definitely had a bit of damage to the sepals though.

Whilst we're on apifera oddities. Can you describe the features of var. aurita? Never heard of it until I saw your comments on talk this afternoon.

Mike

It doesn't seem to be widely known or used. I think I've raised it on here in previous years.

It seems to be defined by having long, narrow green petals.

If I recall when I posted a pic on here last year of what I thought might be one quite a few people sadi all the plants in their local area were like that (hence why it might not be used). Conversely I've only seen it a couple of times here in the SW.

Most Bees have green petals when they first emerge but they quickly pink up, at least round here they do.

The picture on Orchid Observers seemed to show a nice group with narrow long green petals.

Rich

What's happening with those weird new Bees that were found in coastal Wales last year?

Any info appreciated (Rich, nudge nudge)

Well they've been written up as a new variant, var cambrensis, but I understand from a couple of people they had a poor year this year, very few appeared and those got badly burned by the cold winds.

Rich

Bee variants

While we are on the subject of Bee variants can I ask how often peole come across plants like these, with the speculum broken in the centre allowing the orange basal area to join the rest of the unmarked lip.

They are featured in Wild Orchids of Somerset after a whole field full were discovered but it seems that colony has now died out (and before I got a chance to see them!).

However this year I've found half a dozen similar looking plants, maybe not as orangey as those featured in the book, and I wondered how widespread or common they were.

Rich M

Attachments

• 057B.JPG
    057B.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 91
A few small spikes of Bog Orchid at a New Forest location today, the leaves and stems already rather yellowish, although not all flowers are out. I couldn't find any at all at a second site I know. A limited sample but suggests a poor year here.

cheers, alan

Last weekend (20/6/2015) I went up to Cumbria, in search of Coralroots, Small White, and the Lesser Tway.

Unfortunately the Coralroots were pretty much over at Sandscale, although there were some nice Coccinea EMs just coming out.

Elsewhere I managed to find a SWO, although frustratingly it was only in bud. At least that's what I assume it was; anyone disagree? No cages there now.

I managed to find the leaves of a partially eaten Lesser Tway, but no doubt might have found more if I could follow instructions correctly ;)

Today, closer to home, I went to Ranmore Common and there were some Bee Orchids in good condition still, the Pyramidals are now looking good, there are some Fragrants still at their best, but most have gone over.

Attachments

• Coralroot3528-3535.jpg
    Coralroot3528-3535.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 46
  • NorthernMarsh3560.jpg
    NorthernMarsh3560.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 40
  • SWO3581.jpg
    SWO3581.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 71
A nice early start at the Somerset Lizard site yesterday, missed the usual site users. A lot of plants at their peak now with a few starting to go over. Again thanks for the directions.

Attachments

• lizard orchid.jpg
    lizard orchid.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 58
Albino bee orchids in Corton

Ragwort gave me some good instructions about a site with lots and lots of bee orchids near me here on the Norfolk / Suffolk border. I walked up yesterday and was very impressed - not seen that many in one place before. What was really exciting for me was a little patch of three albino versions. They weren't quite out but I got a couple of snaps. I'll be passing in the car on Tuesday and get bf to take me by so I can have another look.

DSCF1101.JPG

Last edited:
Ragwort gave me some good instructions about a site with lots and lots of bee orchids near me here on the Norfolk / Suffolk border. I walked up yesterday and was very impressed - not seen that many in one place before. What was really excited me was a little patch of three albino versions. They weren't quite out but I got a couple of snaps. I'll be passing in the car on Tuesday and get bf to take me by so I can have another look.

View attachment 549277

What excellent looking things they are...!

Amazing variety of bee orchid variants about it seems...but i've seen nothing like those albino's...:cat:

Nice find...B :)

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

I visited Totternhoe tonight. There are at least 20 musk plants in a small area which are just coming out, the first two or three flowers out on a few. Probably a good idea to leave it a few days. Very few other orchids out at the Knolls due to the area being grazed by sheep recently. I could not find any of the frogs or bees I saw last year on the opposite bank

Cheers Ian, I'm taking your advice and I'm planning on going after work on Tuesday - give them a bit more time to come into flower.

I've visited the knolls before for Man Orchid but haven't seen Musk there before - any chance you could give me some direction? PM if at all sensitive.

Thanks,

James

Well they've been written up as a new variant, var cambrensis, but I understand from a couple of people they had a poor year this year, very few appeared and those got badly burned by the cold winds.

Rich

Thanks Rich.

A new var?????? Oh dear. This is why the "real" botanists take the p*ss.

The enclosure is very easy to find but I've been up there today and could see no sign of flowering plants. More worryingly, I also couldn't see any non -flowering plants either, there are normally a few quite close to the fence at the bottom of the enclosure. It has to be said that plants don't appear to be marked yet this year, so much harder to spot. It could also be that they are late this year - I've seen flowing plants as late as 15/7 in previous years and saw a White Helleborine still in good flower yesterday

If they do flower, it's normally possible to get some passable shots of flowering plants with a decent zoom lens.

The enclosure is very easy to find but I've been up there today and could see no sign of flowering plants. More worryingly, I also couldn't see any non -flowering plants either, there are normally a few quite close to the fence at the bottom of the enclosure. It has to be said that plants don't appear to be marked yet this year, so much harder to spot. It could also be that they are late this year - I've seen flowing plants as late as 15/7 in previous years and saw a White Helleborine still in good flower yesterday

If they do flower, it's normally possible to get some passable shots of flowering plants with a decent zoom lens.

I visited on Saturday and found one plant in flower, it is very well hidden in the long grass barely visible. I first spotted it through the binoculars then got the spotting scope on it. There was two men there looking for it themselves when I asked them if they have seen any they said no, I offered to show them were it was but they didn't seem interested!!

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back