• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Very similar to a selection Fred sent me the other day. I thought maybe hybrids but almost impossible to tell without DNA sampling.

I guess if we were to be strict about the Gymnadenia habitats then they would have to be densiflora since conopsea is not a plant of bogs or marshes. What exactly would you describe the habitat as?

Mike

Did you say Fred was near Cheddar Gorge; I assume he was at the Somerset WT reserve on the top of Mendip where they grow in a hay meadow.

My latest pics weren't from far away from there but on the surrounding lower ground at an Avon WT reserve. The area where they grow is all tussocky but the ground is damp - if you kneel down water wells up and you get damp knees. It's the site where the D. praetermissa ssp schoenophila grows so there's Black Bog-rush present as well as Marsh Helleborines and Heath Spotted.

It's probably best described as fen; I suspect the groundwater is alkaline given the nearby hills are limestone.

You'd probably expect them to be densiflora but this is the first time, in many visits, I've found a plant where you could describe the flower spike as dense, or the plant as robust. And now just the one.

Rich

New Forest Bog Orchids?

Hi,

Visited Wilverley Bog in the New Forest this week, no bog orchids yet, this might have something to do with the site having possibly been selected for winter burning, the area showing signs of burning.

Every 25 years sites in the forest are selected to be burned in the winter in order to stop the growth of scrub, reduce biomass and keep nutrients low. It can take a couple of years for the sites to regenerate after burning, so hopefully if not this year then in future years the bog orchids will return.

So looking for another site was thinking of going out to Matley bog either tomorrow or Thursday, anybody know whether there are any in flower there yet? and able to PM directions?

Thanks

Richard

Spent the day in Gloucestershire. Visited Swift Hill, disappointingly common fragrant orchids and frog orchids were both past their best. Musk orchids were in flower at Barrow Wake with many more to come.

Pyramidal

The most Pyramidal ive seen at Sharpenoe Clappers Beds including 1 white flowered near the centre gates of the Main grazing fields, plus Dark Green Fritt
Roger

Dark Red Helleborines in perfect condition today in small quantity (5 seen) at Great Orme not far from the northern Wild Cotoneaster; nothing like the plants in the limestone pavements.

cheers, alan

Attachments

• dark red hell crop - Copy (2).jpg
    dark red hell crop - Copy (2).jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 84
Dark Red Helleborines in perfect condition today in small quantity (5 seen) at Great Orme not far from the northern Wild Cotoneaster; nothing like the plants in the limestone pavements.

cheers, alan

Although I've not personally been to see them, the Great Orme plants always seem much greener in general than the populations I've seen at Gaitbarrows and Bishop Middleham. Very nice.

Mike

Last edited:
Gait Barrows plants, taken Friday, for comparison...

(taken on my phone - please excuse the quality)

Attachments

• DRH 2.jpg
    DRH 2.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DRH 1.jpg
    DRH 1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 76
Kenfig Dunes

Fen orchids - most going over
Early marsh orchids - mostly gone over
60+ Marsh fragrant orchid - just starting to flower. Most a few days off their best.
Rain stopped play late morning

Bee orchid anomaly

This is a bit of an oddity. A Bee Orchid that lacks any pattern symmetry with a yellow line through the dull orange base of the lip.

Steve

Attachments

• burt2015bee1.jpg
    burt2015bee1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi
Not been on here much this year so havent been keeping up on whos been where and whats flowering. I'm considering my options for this coming w/e as I'm heading to Cheshire. Can anyone let me know if dune & green flowered helleborines are in flower on the coast please? Thinking of heading to Ainsdale sand dunes if they are.

Alternatively any news re the broad leaved x dark red helleborine hybrid in N. Lancs?

I've only got one day available for orchid hunting so need to know where's best!
If anyone has directions that they can PM to me for any/all of the above it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Hi

Alternatively any news re the broad leaved x dark red helleborine hybrid in N. Lancs?

Ian

The best man to contact for x schmalhausenii is Bryan Yorke, who knows the area like the back of his hand. I will send you his details by PM.

Martin

Pyramidals in W.Cornwall

Returning last week to our old haunts in W.Cornwall, we were delighted to find good numbers of Pyramidals growing along the roadside embankment of the A30.

Attachments

• Pyramidals on A30  02.JPG
    Pyramidals on A30 02.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 42
I have a chance of visiting Braunton Burrows this weekend It has a great reputation for flora but looks huge so any tips for orchids/helleborine or other good wild flowers would be appreciated via the forum or PM Thanks! Al

North Cardiff

14+ frog orchids just starting to flower at a site in north Cardiff. Most were in bud so still a week off their best. Most plants were under 5cm but one or two plants were 10cm+, including the photo below.

Also here 500 common spotted orchids. Quite a variety in colour and pattern (two photos attached).

Attachments

• IMG_8911[1].jpg
    IMG_8911[1].jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8921[1].jpg
    IMG_8921[1].jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8927[1].jpg
    IMG_8927[1].jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 52
I've suddenly decided to visit Lancs/Cumbria for High Brown Fritillary this Thursday. Also hoping to go to Gait Barrows for Dark Red Helleborine.

Anything else in the area I could add in whilst I'm there? Any other Helleborines? Any hybrids? Can Lesser Twayblade be found in the area?

Any info very much appreciated.

Ladle Hill - Burnt Tips

Just got back in from spending 2 hours searching for Burnt Tips at Ladle Hill. I found 59 flowering plants spread across 8 different locations after a thorough search of the ramparts and spoil heaps on the East, South and West sides of the hillfort. The ones I found are all in pretty good condition now and will be for another 10 days (perhaps). Also lots (hundreds) of Pyramidals, including a number of very pale flowered ones. Spotteds and Fragrants are pretty much over - and no sign of any Bees or Frogs.

I have GPS locations for the BTOs if anyone wants.

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back