• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2025 West Pacific Odyssey - worth it? (1 Viewer)

Calonectris

I'm looking to join the 2025 West Pacific Odyssey. Heritage Expeditions just published their itinerary and it has some significant changes compared to previous years that make me doubt whether it's maybe better to wait it out for 2026.

The first and last parts are still the same as any other WPO: start in Auckland and travel via Norfolk Island to New Caledonia, the last leg is the trek to Japan via Chichi-jima and Torishima to Yokohama. It's the middle part among the Solomons where the big difference lies.

Where there are usually four or five islands visited (Rennell, Guadalcanal, Kolombangara, Makira, Tetepare, Chuuk, ...) now there are only three island visits: Guadalcanal (Honiara with a visit to Mt. Austin), Bougainville and New Ireland (Kavieng). The trip is also markedly shorter: 25 days compared to 29 days this year.

So, as I see it, the sea birding will be more or less the same as before but the land birding will be a lot reduced. Does anyone have some intel on species diversity and endemism on Bougainville and New Ireland (the Mt Austin trip is standard on the WPO) and whether a day visit is worth the while seeing as these are big islands where possibly most species are found in more remote areas?

TIA.

If you are 100% certain that the itinerary will revert back to one that you prefer, I guess it is a simple choice.
You just have to assess whether the 2025 itinerary is the new norm.

I have friends who went this year and looking forward to catching up with them to hear about their experiences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back