• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4:30 AM NJ songbird? (1 Viewer)

tizziec

This is going to be a tough one. I can't figure out how to google it so I will ask here.

This moring around 4:30 AM I heard a very active and LOUD songbird. This is unuasual especially since it managed to wake ME from a dead sleep. I could not find it (probably because I could barely open my eyes) but it had a very deep and smooth whistle around the tone of a robin, but with more fluidity. It whistled a nice song as opposed to seperate notes and the tone was fairly deep but very strong. and again, VERY loud,. I am not accustumed to hearing birds quite that early aside from a few quiet cheeps.

As for habitat, I live about 2/3 of a mile off teh beach and about a block and a half from a river, then maybe 100yrds from a tidal creek. We have two fairly large maples in my yard and a recently tilled 45'x45' garden. It did rain last night fairly well till about 9pm.

Sorry this is not much to go one, and I wish to hell I could have found the sucker but the trees are now in full leaf cover. ANY suggestions that I can look up to listen to would help but I just cannot figure who would have been up and singing then, the suc was far from rising at that point and it was quite dark.

If it sounds a bit like a robin, and it's loud and it's early, it's probably a robin. I find myself being fooled by robins on a regular basis in the spring. They seem to step it up a notch in the spring. The other possibility might be a rose-breasted grosbeak, although I've never really noticed them singing as early as the robins.

Scott

Well we do have one rose breasted grosbeak this year, I just did not expect to hear him that early in the morning. I have to say that was on my list this morning when I was cursing the bugger out LOL.

Now let's hope he sets his alarm clock for a LITTLE later tomorrow

You'd be surprised as to how many birds start singing even earlier than that...while scouting for the World Series I was woken up by the "dawn" chorus just before 4am in north New Jersey while camping!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back