• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5-hour nightmare on the Little Ouse. Plus firecrest (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Today was a nightmare which went horribly off the rails. I got the first train I could, and got as quickly as I could to Santon Downham, stopped by the bridge, and immediately heard the lesser spotted woodpecker- it was hiding in the trees southeast of the bridge. I didn't see it despite trying, and quickly made my way down to the classic location. As I approached, I heard another lesser spotted woodpecker, along the river, very far from the bridge.

Here, I made my first massive mistake. Instead of stopping and searching for it and likely seeing it, I decided to press on for no particular reason. I saw some people looking at a tree, and approached to find Marcus Nash and some other people who said the woodpecker had just left into Suffolk. I had missed it by a matter of minutes! There are 3 lesser spotted woodpeckers along this river: the one I heard about 50-100m away from the classic position, the female Marcus saw, and the woodpecker I heard by the bridge. One of the ones I heard, according to a person I spoke to, was most certainly a male. As a result, it was a bit embarassing that I spent five hours standing completely still here and staring at the trees, harvesting nothing but the showy big brothers of the lesser spotteds, green woodpeckers, wrens and marsh tits. Still, no photo seems wrong, so here is a lesser spotted woodpecker from 2019:

Here, I made a second mistake, even worse than the first. A crowd formed by this location, about 15 people, and I should have realised that such a gathering would deter any shy, quiet bird from arriving. As a result, because of this, I ended up missing the male lesser spotted woodpecker when it was heard calling later on, in the exact place I heard one today. I was just standing and observing- the only time a lot of people moved was when I detected a lesser spotted woodpecker drumming nearby, but we failed to see it.

Eventually I realised it was getting too late, and left, making sure to check everything along the way. This is the third time in a row I have completely failed to see this bird, and this time it was entirely my fault! I will be more intelligent the next time I visit for them.

Tired from standing like that, I cycled all the way to Lynford, and began looking for the bird I wanted to see the most today- firecrest. I approached a stand of larches, and saw a goldcrest flitting about, as well as 2 kinglets at the top. I couldn't see which. Moving around, I noticed another kinglet, and managed to get some photos of it as it sat unusually still for me to see.

It was the firecrest I had come for. It did begin jumping around at this point, but never enough to throw me off balance, and I got a series of nice images of the beautiful little bird as a result.

It mostly kept in the shade of a large larch tree, but at one point sat right out in the open, in the sun's rays, and I took my best image of a firecrest today as a result.

I took a walk around the arboretum to see if I could see anything else, but mostly ended up pointing people looking for firecrest to the stand of larches, and failed to see any hawfinch as well. Still, a firecrest is a firecrest. I hope I will finally see the woodpecker in 2024, and the hawfinch in the autumn

Great pics of that Firecrest! A shame with the LSWs; they're much more common here--in quality woodland and beyond.
I come from an Eastern European country, and we had lesser spotted woodpeckers within walking distance!
I lived in a small village on the edge of a forest and, at least in 2018-19, golden oriole, long-eared owl and lesser spotted woodpecker all lived in the village! Sadly, grey-headed woodpecker disappeared in 2016. The forest itself had hazel grouse in it, black woodpecker, honey-buzzard and nutcracker, all of which I have personally seen, and hen harrier may have bred at least once in 2019. We also had a white stork pair nearby.
In the UK, everything is getting rare because of habitat destruction and bird persecution. I am honestly amazed there are white-tailed eagles now eyeing a spot to nest in at one reserve in the south after all of that.

I come from an Eastern European country, and we had lesser spotted woodpeckers within walking distance!
I lived in a small village on the edge of a forest and, at least in 2018-19, golden oriole, long-eared owl and lesser spotted woodpecker all lived in the village! Sadly, grey-headed woodpecker disappeared in 2016. The forest itself had hazel grouse in it, black woodpecker, honey-buzzard and nutcracker, all of which I have personally seen, and hen harrier may have bred at least once in 2019. We also had a white stork pair nearby.
In the UK, everything is getting rare because of habitat destruction and bird persecution. I am honestly amazed there are white-tailed eagles now eyeing a spot to nest in at one reserve in the south after all of that.
So in Eastern Europe it appears:

Hen Harrier breeds Estonia, Belarus, part of Ukraine, Russia...
Long-eared Owl summer only in Russia it seems, year-round most other places
Golden Oriole generally over the region in summer
Black Woodpecker not so far South as Hen Harrier (so probably not Ukraine) but wider East-West
Grey-headed Woodpecker has strange gaps so most of the Baltics, not so much Poland, but Belarus, Ukraine, East into Russia and down the West coast of the Black Sea
Nutcracker Baltics East into Russia, patchy elsewhere

I'm curious now, which country is this?

John

Russia :)

PS no Grey-headed Woodpecker gap in the Baltics ... pretty much as usual, four at my feeders this winter
:ROFLMAO:

Interesting - gap shown in the Collins Guide! Of course I may be misreading the maps, they don't have national boundaries on. Congratulations on four at the feeders, happy memories of assorted woodpeckers there!

Cheers

John

Yes, I hear you. Only White Storks and Black Woodpeckers are regulars here, with Eurasian Golden Oriole and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker gettable as well (Long-eared Owl depending on year). Spain is a bit different in terms of species, I guess (interesting but different).

Yes, I hear you. Only White Storks and Black Woodpeckers are regulars here, with Eurasian Golden Oriole and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker gettable as well (Long-eared Owl depending on year). Spain is a bit different in terms of species, I guess (interesting but different).
In Spain, I have Bonelli's eagles a short drive inland!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back