• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6 Full Days in Panama (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I'm planning a visit to Panama for 6 days in mid-October and I'm not sure how to split our time.

We'd like to hit Valle de Anton, Gamboa, and Nusagandi if possible, but I'm wondering how much time to dedicate to each spot?

We're pretty young and energetic, willing to cover a lot of ground and go all day. Currently I'm thinking either of the following:
3 days in Anton Valley, 2 days in Gamboa, 1 day in Nusagandi,
Or
2 days in Anton Valley, 3 days in Gamboa, 1 day in Nusagandi.

We have some experience/birds from the neotropics, having done a week around Mindo, Ecuador previously.

Are we doing too much? Does Gamboa or the Anton Valley need more time than the other?

Last edited:
Depends on what your targets are, El Valle should be covered in 3 days because it has a lot of targets to specific peaks and sites, but Gamboa has overall more species, including the chances for more megas like Blue Cotinga, Streak-chested Antpitta and Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo.

For six days, I do not think I would do more than 2 sites max. You are risking to use a lot of time on the road where you don't see a lot. Are you planning on going alone or are you thinking about using guides? Without a guide, you could visit the same trail three days in a row and see new birds each time.
Niels

For six days, I do not think I would do more than 2 sites max. You are risking to use a lot of time on the road where you don't see a lot. Are you planning on going alone or are you thinking about using guides? Without a guide, you could visit the same trail three days in a row and see new birds each time.
Niels
Agree with this given your short trip. Also, October is still the rainy season, so accessing the Kuna Yala region could prove tricky. Personally, I would focus on Gamboa and El Valle as access is easy to get the most out of this trip. Do plan your transfer to El Valle in the morning as late afternoon/evening traffic going west from Panama City can be horrendous.

Definitely want to get some of the local/near endemic birds. In Anton I think we'd like to see Black Guan, Snowcap, Wedge-tailed Grassfinch, Red-Crowned Ant-Tanager, Black-faced Grosbeak, Blue Seedeater, and maybe Purplish-Backed Quail-Dove. This would also be an additional chance to see Rufous-Vented Ground-Cuckoo, Black-Crowned Antpitta, and Sunbittern. We'd also stop in the Pacific Lowlands to try for Veraguan Mango, Crested Bobwhite, and other local birds. I think we like the idea of 3 days here.
In Gamboa we'd like to see Short-tailed swift, Yellow-breasted Crake, Cocoi Heron, Moustached Antwren, Yellow-green Tyrannulet, Choco Elaenia, Golden-Fronted Greenlet, Buff-Breasted Wren, plus all the other numerous birds in the area. Given the number of species possible here, 3 days makes sense, but it's hard to also pass up on the opportunities Nusagandi might have.
Nusagandi would appear to be our best chance to get Stripe-cheeked Woodpecker, Sapayoa, Spiny-faced Antshrike, Black-Crowned Antpitta, multiple Antbirds, Velvety Manakin, Blue Cotinga, Slate-Throated Gnatcatcher, Isthmian Wren, Stripe-throated Wren, Sulphur-rumped flycatcher, and Black-and-yellow Tanager.
An easier day trip from the Panama City/Gamboa area may be Cerro Azul? That would offer Violet-Capped Hummingbird, Tawny-faced Quail, Black-eared Wood-quail, Blue-fronted Parrotlet, Tacarcuna Chlorospingus, Black-headed Brushfinch, etc. and still provide some species overlap with Nusagandi.

With good guiding, you can get both antpittas in the El Valle area. I had Stripe-cheeked Woodpecker in the Cerro Azul/Cerro Jefe area.

So this brings us back to: do you have guiding or not? If you are OK with the expense, spending your entire time with Canopy Lodge in El Valle or with Canopy Tower is likely to be the way you get the most species on the time you have allotted. Without guides, doing both areas probably pays off as you will get a lot of commoner birds and a chance for a few of the rarer ones. I did a 5 day stay in El Valle with the lodge and that included 1 whole day in the pacific lowlands. A seven day stay gets you to some of the really difficult to get to habitats. And no, I am not getting paid by them.
Niels

With good guiding, you can get both antpittas in the El Valle area. I had Stripe-cheeked Woodpecker in the Cerro Azul/Cerro Jefe area.

So this brings us back to: do you have guiding or not? If you are OK with the expense, spending your entire time with Canopy Lodge in El Valle or with Canopy Tower is likely to be the way you get the most species on the time you have allotted. Without guides, doing both areas probably pays off as you will get a lot of commoner birds and a chance for a few of the rarer ones. I did a 5 day stay in El Valle with the lodge and that included 1 whole day in the pacific lowlands. A seven day stay gets you to some of the really difficult to get to habitats. And no, I am not getting paid by them.
Niels
We don't mind hiring a guide for a day at each spot, especially if they know spots for some of the really tricky birds like Ground-Cuckoo (or is it just luck of the ant swarm?). The full guided experience and lodging with the Canopy Group is outside of our price range though.

Speaking of guides/local birders, does anyone know how to get in touch with Alfred Raab to do some birding in Altos del Maria? Seems like he's the go-to guy in that area.

I would also opine to focus on fewer sites and/or use guides if you are keen on seeing more of the more difficult species.

some of the birds you mention are wide spread and/or easier to see elsewhere. If you for see more neotropical birding in the future I would suggest focusing on the endemics and specials. If not of course you should focus on the birds that most appeal in the moment :)

Having been to Panama, this is way way way too much packed into 6 days, especially since some of your targets are not easy birds. I would pick one spot and focus birding the vicinity of that location. IMHO, it's better to give yourself the time to properly bird one area and maximize your chance at seeing the local birds you want to see, then to dash around, and miss a ton of birds everywhere simply because your itinerary gives you a limited chance to see any one target.

Niels
Niels (and anyone else),

I'm thinking of heading to Panama in early November. Have some (but limited) neotrop experience (Yucatan, CR, neither was a proper birding trip, but I managed to get some birding in).

Canopy Lodge looks like a solid option. Was that day in the lowlands included as part of the stay package? And is the lodge close enough to town for a non-birding spouse to find ways to spend time? I'm thinking that the Lodge would let me get in a mix of guided/unguided birding...

One consideration...I think early November is smack in the middle of rainy season? Is it typically an hourlong afternoon storm, or is it more of an all day downpour?

Cannot answer everything, but I was at the lodge as part of a package where we had three nights at the tower and five at the lodge. This was in August and also rainy. There was one day lost to rain, the others were manageable. There was guiding every day and the day in the lowland was included. The seven day package would have included an even more interesting day. You can find a sample itinerary for a week on the canopy family website.

I don’t think it is far from the small town. Not knowing your wife and how she could entertain herself, I will not say more.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back