• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 day-old robins gone from nest! (1 Viewer)

Barb1958

United States
There’s a robin nest near my deck with 7 day old chicks. Yesterday the mother fed them, then pecked hard in the nest for ~2 min. Now no activity. 🙁

Hi Barb and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. What a shame for this nest. Has she lost her partner, do you think? If he has disappeared, it may be that she thinks she won't be able to manage on her own.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry to hear about the loss of the nestlings.

There’s a robin nest near my deck with 7 day old chicks. Yesterday the mother fed them, then pecked hard in the nest for ~2 min. Now no activity. 🙁
I do not know if this is a common occurrence in the bird world but I think all life is precious no matter how small, sad indeed.

Every time I read about life being cut short, whether in mother nature’s kingdom or ours it makes me think about our own mortality. I am a twin from the early fifties and both of us were born preemies weighing in about 3 pounds with upper respiratory problems. I am told we were not supposed to have survived. If we had been sickly fledgling or even born Viking babies there is a very high possibility I and my brother would not be here today. The story of the chicks makes me wonder …. was the nest insect infected effecting the chicks survivability or maybe some how the mother Robin sensed that something was not right with her young chicks. As suggested earlier, both partners not being there to care for their young ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back