• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80mm Spotting like Astronomical instrument? (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I like know some experienced opinions on how is a good APO or ED spotting scope of 80mm for casual astronomical observations.
Someone have used this spotting for these purposes?
Best,
PG.

I carry an 80mm ED refractor for sotting sometimes. Gives great views and I can change the magnification and keep wide views with a choice of eyepieces…. Downside is that it feels it it made of lead, so, I only carry it about if I really need to, otherwise I carry smaller (and lighter) optics.

Peter

Hi,

it can be done if you already have a good example of an ED spotter. But the small aperture and limited magnification spoil the fun a bit.

Moon is kinda breathtaking through my old Kowa at 52x - great contrast and very sharp in good seeing - more magnification would be nice - since I have an extender and an old 60x fixed EP I can actually go to 96x with some fiddling and the view is still great when the seeing is good.

But when I have some time and good seeing I usually get out a bigger scope...

Joachim

For planets you’ll want a mirror diagonal or you’ll get a spike in the image from the edge of the erecting prism diagonal.

Peter

Hello,
I like know some experienced opinions on how is a good APO or ED spotting scope of 80mm for casual astronomical observations.
Best,
PG.
I do a fair amount of binocular astronomy from my property using 7, 8 and 10X bins. I also use a Nikon ED50 with 16X/27X DS eyepieces and a 13-40 zoom. Our Nikon ED 82A gets some astro use with fixed lenses (30, 50, 75X) along with a 25-75X zoom. The Kowa 883 with the 25-60X zoom produces very lovely images!

Handheld, my favorite binocular is my 7X42 Ultravid followed by the 7X42 SLC.
Mounted, the 8.5X42 SV is exceptional but the 10X50 SV is truly spectacular...when mounted.

We use the Sky Guide app on iPhones/iPads. With this app you can turn the compass off and then examine parts of the sky with complete ease. I'm sitting at my desk and I just "searched" for Orion Nebula. I can now examine the stars of Orion in great detail. Studying in advance really enhances the observational experience.

P.S.
I highlighted casual astronomical observations in the original post.

Hello,
Best,
PG.
My 80mm Svbony SV406P does fine for "casual astronomy". I can easily view Jupiter (with bands) and Saturn (with rings) up to 96x. Moon is great at anything from 20-60x. Many star clusters look great at 30-50x. The only issue is that 45 degrees is not ideal for looking up near the zenith. But all angled spotting scopes face this issue.

I’ve used 8” newtonian and 100mm ED refractor telescopes for mainly planets and moon, and refractor gives higher contrast but slightly dimmer view (surprisingly not that much dimmer).

So if you have a good ED spot scope it will be quite good for casual astronomy, as in you wont get much better without much larger and dedicated telescope.

80-100-120mm is same progression as 32-40-48mm for binoculars, incremental.

Enjoyed some stargazing using my Opticron MM4 60mm in a genuinely dark sky situation (Isles of Scilly, May).
No idea what I saw but it was a fun way to spend an hour on a warm night.

Enjoyed some stargazing using my Opticron MM4 60mm in a genuinely dark sky situation (Isles of Scilly, May).
No idea what I saw but it was a fun way to spend an hour on a warm night.
Try Sky Safari, I find it very useful. If you pay for the pro version you get viewing circles you can customize to match your binoculars or telescope eyepiece, makes it easy to confirm what you're looking at.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back