• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs. 10x50 dawn/twilight (1 Viewer)

Herman in case you were thinking of my 109,115,117, I get my attempts at humor are sometimes lost on folks here. In case not, after reading the whole one can I believe, see the confusion that exists among the various members trying to communicate.
I actually wasn't referring to you at all. That was more an attempt to simply things somewhat. I should have added something like "Try to work out what works best for you. And once you found it, ignore any further advice."

BTW, I am really quite sure the Canon is easier to focus in low light than conventional binoculars. Kimmo also mentioned that effect in passing some time ago, and I find it's real.

Hermann

50mm objectives provide 41% more surface area for light transmission than 42mm diameter objectives. On the other hand a 10x provides more visibility than a 8x binocular. With my old eyes I have gravitated to 10x or higher magnification binoculars for low light use.

So I have these binos - a bit of overkill of which I am fully aware.

10x25
10x32
10x43
12x42
12x50

I like 10x as well! However, I like large exit pupils too. 10x32 is really nice and I have one as well. For dim light I much prefer a 8x42. However, since I like 10 power I added an EL 10x50 too. So, high magnification and large exit pupil. A win win for me. I was thinking about an EL 12x50 too, but actually that would only be a win in magnification compared with a 10x42 since the exit pupil would be about the same.

The 56mm lens is gathering twice as much light. Any transmission difference, if there is one, would be like a percent or two. I should butt-out of these brightness talks...coming from astronomy, it's a different world. It's like we're speaking different languges....at night, aperture is only thing that matters. 42mm is simply a puny lens, barely useable for what we do :D

And remember....astronomers do it all night :LOL:

Yep. I got a Zeiss 10x54 and Swaro 12x50 EL -- and they present a dilemma. I like nature viewing but also night sky. The Zeiss is brighter under all circumstances, the image is steadier but the extra 2x of the 12x opens up a whole other dimension in the night sky. Lots of things you see that you just do not see with the 10x let alone 8.5x.
I wonder what the night sky looks like with 15x56 SLC. But then I would have to have the tripod attached to it everywhere.

My 10x54 is marginally brighter than the 12x50 EL and noticeably brighter than any 42mm. It can see things in total darkness with just a bit of help from moonlight or such. I am really tempted to get the 56mm Swaro. Either 10x56 but more likely 15x56. But then 10x is more useful all-around vs relatively specialized 15x.

it's too bad none of the Alpha makers make a 10x60 or such, because I would probably buy it.

50mm objectives provide 41% more surface area for light transmission than 42mm diameter objectives. On the other hand a 10x provides more visibility than a 8x binocular. With my old eyes I have gravitated to 10x or higher magnification binoculars for low light use.

So I have these binos - a bit of overkill of which I am fully aware.

10x25
10x32
10x43
12x42
12x50

There is also the the interesting option of 8x56. If you like 8x but want the most light-gathering objective possible. Or 8x50 to keep it relatively light.

Yep. I got a Zeiss 10x54 and Swaro 12x50 EL -- and they present a dilemma. I like nature viewing but also night sky. The Zeiss is brighter under all circumstances, the image is steadier but the extra 2x of the 12x opens up a whole other dimension in the night sky. Lots of things you see that you just do not see with the 10x let alone 8.5x.
I wonder what the night sky looks like with 15x56 SLC. But then I would have to have the tripod attached to it everywhere.

My 10x54 is marginally brighter than the 12x50 EL and noticeably brighter than any 42mm. It can see things in total darkness with just a bit of help from moonlight or such. I am really tempted to get the 56mm Swaro. Either 10x56 but more likely 15x56. But then 10x is more useful all-around vs relatively specialized 15x.

it's too bad none of the Alpha makers make a 10x60 or such, because I would probably buy it.
For me the 10x54 is going to be better under dark skies and the 12x50 better if there's significant light pollution. Higher power in binos really does darken things from my yard where there's a lot of LP.

Nikon makes some nice 10x70 porros if you want to go really big & high quality. If you're keeping the HT's the 15x56 SLC would make sense. I tried them at the store, I could hand-hold them OK for a short time, there are plenty of people using 15x binos for astronomy without a mount. It's not ideal, but I'd be happy to use them for a short session on my lounge chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back