• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Cardinal question and a generic question (1 Viewer)

tucansam

A mated pair of cardinals are back for the second year, and I keep them happy with black oil seed.

The male rarely hits the feeder if there are other birds on it. And if he's on the feeder, he will allow himself (usually) to be pushed off by other birds.

I have a platform feeder, and he was just on it. His "mohawk" was straight up and broad, he was pecking and chewing away and having a grand old time. When birds flew by, the mohawk laid flat. When the coast was clear, the mohawk came back up.

I remember when I rode horses for work, anytime they pinned their ears back, it meant they were frustrated or irritated.

Well, lo-and-behold, a large dove came and landed right on the tray of seed, and the cardinal took a few steps back and stared at the dove, mohawk straight back. Is that group of feathers on his head a mood indicator? I notice it in the female too.

A secondary question.

I know mother birds bring food back to nesting babies who are incapable of flight, and feed them mouth-to-mouth.

I have witnessed this on larger birds -- maybe a juvenile, but both capable of flight, and one feeding the other directly. Both were on the same feeder, side by side, literally seed at their feet. But one mouth-fed the other. Why?

Birds with crests that can be raised or lowered will do so for various reasons, such as to appear larger and thus more intimidating (eg to deter rivals or predators).
Parental birds will continue to feed fledglings as they learn to feed themselves, whereas in some species the male may courtship feed the female to show what a good provider he would be.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back