• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A crisis of confidence. (1 Viewer)

I haven’t added to my blog for a while and have even considered giving up posting altogether.
Part of the problem has been a distinct lack of birds in the garden, but I must also admit to a small crisis of confidence.
All it has taken is a fairly negative comment of a previous post, stating that my photos look staged and not natural.
I have never hidden the fact that I take photos in the garden by pre-focusing on a perch and having a painted board several feet behind it to act as a non-intrusive background. Mobility problems mean that I can no longer hike through the woods with a heavy camera and long lens to capture snapshots of birds in what some might say is their “natural” habitat. My garden, perch and all, IS the natural habitat for the birds I photograph.
I cannot force the birds to pose for me. It takes a thorough understanding of their behaviour and hours of patience to get a specific bird to land just where I want it, face the correct way and “pose” in a satisfactory manner. That is before you consider the technical aspects of capturing such small birds in close up, in any weather and lighting conditions.
I sat and thought about why I do it all.
I came to the conclusion that I do it to try and do justice to the birds - to show them off in all their glory. If I like the result, then that is enough for me. If just one person on Bird Forum enjoys seeing them, then it is a bonus and a reason to be happy.
Yes, I have constructed a “studio” in the garden. Would a portrait of your child be any less worthy if it was taken in a studio? Are only “candid” photos real?

Rant over.
Like it or not, this photo is my favourite from the last couple of weeks. I enjoyed taking it and I enjoy sharing it.06F0D599-841E-4E16-B45E-B77DF76EE225.jpeg

From the 'negative' post I assume you are referring to above....

I said - "Personally I prefer photos of birds to look 'natural' and I'm not a fan of either photoshopped replacement backgrounds or 'studio' type shots (with angles/perches/lighting etc all pre-determined), as neither tends to look particularly 'natural' to my eyes. Some folk do like that sort of thing though and if you're happy with the results you get then that's what matters."

You say - "If I like the result, then that is enough for me. If just one person on Bird Forum enjoys seeing them, then it is a bonus and a reason to be happy.
Yes, I have constructed a “studio” in the garden."

It would appear that we are saying very similar things in the bold parts.

We all have different tastes in subjective 'art' - be it photography, music, paintings, films etc. We don't all have to like the same stuff. Technically, your photos are good, as they should be given your experience as a photographer, they just aren't to my own PERSONAL taste. I'd much rather see the clutter of a back garden, or a wall/fence/window as a background. I don't mind seeing twigs/leaves partially across a bird in a photo as that is how I see birds each and everyday. Yes, it is great when the bird perches out in the open with an uncluttered background and the light is just right, but 99.9999% of the time that doesn't happen (for most 'garden birds'). I see some technically really good photos online from time to time and I know exactly where they have been taken because I've seen very similar photos taken at the exact same sites from the exact same hide set-up with exactly the same species and exactly the same perch, and in some cases with the exact same lighting set-up (usually night-time 'reflecting pools') and even the very same individual bird. Once I've seen THAT photo once (or twice at a push) the novelty quickly wears off for me. I'd rather see some natural variety. That's my own personal preference.

I don't have any kids....and am perfectly happy to not see ANYONE's kids pics (be they studio OR candid). I dabbled in 'model' (the female type - not the plastic kit type) photography for a few years and much preferred to work outdoors, rather than in my pal's studio where everything could be controlled and set-up. I prefered the challenge of dealing with what the day would throw at me (lighting, locations, weather etc) and it is the same with regards my own bird photography***. Again, that is my own personal preference.

Good luck with your outdoor studio, Denny and I hope that your birds return.

*** EDIT : .....and what I prefer to see in bird photography in general.

Last edited:
I get it though. That bird should be smiling, or at least giving a wink to the camera if this was really staged. Maybe standing on one foot even?
The only person that used the word 'staged' was Denny himself above! Nothing like wilfully mis-representing what was actually said....

The full text that seemingly caused such a dramatic reaction was....

"Your photos do indeed have a 'style' that is distinctively yours (at least in the context of Birdforum). You've successfully found a way to replicate the replacement of a suburban/garden background in Photoshop, using the 'old fashioned' labour-intensive way of doing things. Personally I prefer photos of birds to look 'natural' and I'm not a fan of either photoshopped replacement backgrounds or 'studio' type shots (with angles/perches/lighting etc all pre-determined), as neither tends to look particularly 'natural' to my eyes. Some folk do like that sort of thing though and if you're happy with the results you get then that's what matters."

(As Denny says he "just wants to learn", I could have chosen to go into more detail about what makes the photos look not really 'natural' to my eyes (the lack of shadow on the bird(s) and flash reflections on the feathers, coupled with the painted backgrounds - which is pretty much just another way of saying what Andy Adcock has said above in his comment) so he could get an idea of what I 'see' when I look at his photos, but instead went with the NEUTRAL (paraphrased) 'You have a distinctive style, it's not to my taste, but if you're happy with the results then that's what matters').

I'm still not seeing what is apparently SO negative about the original comment to elicit the supposed 'crisis of confidence' but I guess there's 'nowt so queer as folk'.

I'll reiterate what I said at the end of my post above....
Good luck with your outdoor studio, Denny and I hope that your birds return.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back