• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more from Darwin Australia (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
A couple more shore birds photo 1 and 2. Lesser or Greater Sand Plover
The Kingfisher has me confused Not little, not Azure, Sacred, Forest?
The finch from Edith Falls is this a juv Gouldian od Long tailed or Masked?
and Finally Flycatcher, gerygone or Robin?

Attachments

• DSC_9730.jpg
    DSC_9730.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_9733.jpg
    DSC_9733.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_9510.jpg
    DSC_9510.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_9668.jpg
    DSC_9668.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_9768.jpg
    DSC_9768.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 65
If these two photos are Red-capped Plover, then the pictures in the Slater guide must be quite misleading. Is this the case? The Slater guide shows a huge white forehead with the eye set clear of the patch at the top of the neck and around the neck, a very small bill relative to the head size, and completely black legs. But the photos show quite a large bill, a small white forehead patch with the eye enclosed in black, and yellowish legs.

If these two photos are Red-capped Plover, then the pictures in the Slater guide must be quite misleading. Is this the case? The Slater guide shows a huge white forehead with the eye set clear of the patch at the top of the neck and around the neck, a very small bill relative to the head size, and completely black legs. But the photos show quite a large bill, a small white forehead patch with the eye enclosed in black, and yellowish legs.

Having had a quick look at the illustrations in question - no, they probably aren't the best. But it be fair, there's a fair bit of variation in them, hard to illustrate in single illustrations. A quick Google search should turn up a few similar birds

Having had a quick look at the illustrations in question - no, they probably aren't the best. But it be fair, there's a fair bit of variation in them, hard to illustrate in single illustrations. A quick Google search should turn up a few similar birds

Hi John, I wasn't questioning the identification, which I'm not qualified to do. But sometimes when something like this comes up on BF, I make a note of relevant information in my guidebooks, and having looked up the Red-capped to see what the differences were with Kentish and the Sand Plovers (of interest to me because I have just this year been going to places where these occur in Japan), I thought I might make a little note next to the illustrations in Slater just to help me if I have the chance to go to Australia again and see it. That's all. Apologies if it sounded as if I was questioning your ID.

Apologies if it sounded as if I was questioning your ID.

No need to apologise at all, even if you had been questioning my ID! My reply wasn't meant to sound rude or grumpy, so in fact maybe I should be apologising. I read your reply as a query as to whether the Slater illustration was a bit off, so was clarifying that (or trying to! |:$|)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back