• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A flying* visit to Edinburgh next week! (1 Viewer)

MrToad

United States
* "pun" very much intended.
My wife and I will be in Edinburgh for my son's wedding, but hope to get some birding in when we don't absolutely have to do family things. She is particularly fond of waterfowl, so I had hoped to get out the shore, perhaps up to Aberlady, but it looks like this may prove to be a bit tricky. We only have Monday May 30, or perhaps Saturday May 28, to play with, and our mobility is not what it was in the days of our youth. If any local birder has a few hours to kill and isn't completely resistant to being bribed with baked goods and/or alcoholic beverages for transportation (fuel fully covered as well) and bird guidance, I would be a happy birder!

Rather than Aberlady, which is a long walk from the car park/bus stop, may I suggest that you try Musselburgh. It is closer to Edinburgh and easily accessible by public transport. There are hides (blinds) at the scrapes and from there it is a short walk to the sea wall. Late May is not the peak date for wildfowl but there should be Eider, Shelduck, Goosander, Gadwall, Mallard and there might be some Scoters.

Another alternative is the Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick where you can see Puffin, Guillemot, Razorbill, Kittewake, Shag, Fulmar and the largest gannet colony on a single island in the world. Apparently, Sir David Attenborough called the Bass Rock gannet colony one of the wildlife wonders of the world. There is a train from Edinburgh to North Berwick and I believe you can buy an entrance ticket to the SSC in a package at Waverley Station.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back