• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Nightingale was unlikely to sing in Berkely Square (2 Viewers)

greykangaroo

Australia
Eric Maschwitz wasn’t mistaken when he wrote about the nightingale. In fact he knew very well that Berkeley Square was the last place on earth you would expect to hear a nightingale.
But the possibility of one doing this conjures up thoughts of Romantic and dangerous times. Vera Lynn, the blitz and Britain at war.
Although people hear small birds sometimes singing there, the secretive little Nightingales would be out in the brambles of the countryside.
Berkeley Square aside, it would be nice to hear from anyone who has witnessed the singing of a nightingale anywhere in London in recent times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the nightingale actually referred to a woman.

Though Robins and Blackbirds are known to sing at night in urban areas, due to the lamp posts.

Other things in WWII poetry that never happened include a Spitfire pilot reaching out and touching the face of God. That, frankly, is poetry for you, which is why field guides are not written in rhyming couplets or iambic pentameter.

Back to reality.... a planned BBC live broadcast of Nightingale song was cancelled because a heavy bomber raid flew over the coastal site en route for Germany and it was felt the broadcast would give the enemy early warning.

John

Other things in WWII poetry that never happened include a Spitfire pilot reaching out and touching the face of God. That, frankly, is poetry for you, which is why field guides are not written in rhyming couplets or iambic pentameter.
Imagine us all reaching for our Ayres field guide instead of Collins!

Eric Maschwitz wasn’t mistaken when he wrote about the nightingale. In fact he knew very well that Berkeley Square was the last place on earth you would expect to hear a nightingale.
But the possibility of one doing this conjures up thoughts of Romantic and dangerous times. Vera Lynn, the blitz and Britain at war.
Although people hear small birds sometimes singing there, the secretive little Nightingales would be out in the brambles of the countryside.
Berkeley Square aside, it would be nice to hear from anyone who has witnessed the singing of a nightingale anywhere in London in recent
Did a Blackbird sing at Adlestrop Station?

Yes. I remember Adlestrop—
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June.

The steam hissed. Someone cleared his throat.
No one left and no one came
On the bare platform. What I saw
Was Adlestrop—only the name

And willows, willow-herb, and grass,
And meadowsweet, and haycocks dry,
No whit less still and lonely fair
Than the high cloudlets in the sky.

And for that minute a blackbird sang
Close by, and round him, mistier,
Farther and farther, all the birds
Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

Source: Poems (1917)

‘Ode to a Nightingale’: A Poem by John Keats​

Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!
No hungry generations tread thee down;
The voice I hear this passing night was heard
In ancient days by emperor and clown:
Perhaps the self-same song that found a path
Through the sad heart of Ruth, when, sick for home,
She stood in tears amid the alien corn;
The same that oft-times hath
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn.

Keats was inspired to write this poem in 1819 whilst sitting under a plum tree listening to a Nightingale singing.

‘Ode to a Nightingale’: A Poem by John Keats​

Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!
No hungry generations tread thee down;
The voice I hear this passing night was heard
In ancient days by emperor and clown:
Perhaps the self-same song that found a path
Through the sad heart of Ruth, when, sick for home,
She stood in tears amid the alien corn;
The same that oft-times hath
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn.

Keats was inspired to write this poem in 1819 whilst sitting under a plum tree listening to a Nightingale singing.
Overheard at a forces educational lecture being introduced by the RSM: "Mr ***** is going to lecture you today on Keats - and I bet not one of you B*****ds knows what a Keat is".

John

Overheard at a forces educational lecture being introduced by the RSM: "Mr ***** is going to lecture you today on Keats - and I bet not one of you B*****ds knows what a Keat is".

John
Well, my knowledge about it is that it is to do with tying something to a buoy at sea.
We had an infamous Prime Minister by the name of Paul Keating. Conservatives will tell you that he was always at sea.
But we have been waiting to hear more about the RSM and your perceived meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back