• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question of peanuts....... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Does anyone know if there are 'rules' as to what 'types' of peanuts can be fed to birds. My Dad (bless 'im) managed to come by a large bag of out of date salted peanuts, he decided not to waste them so he washed all the salt off them and put them out for the birdies. There don't seem to have been any casualties but I'm wondering if the roasted variety of nut is in fact OK for bird consumption??

Annie :)

BTW I read recently of an instance where rice krispies were put out for the birds, apparently they went mad over them!! Not literally you understand..............oh dear shut up Annie......

hi Annie- shelled peanuts are a big hit around our bird feeders. I've never put out roasted peanuts, but I would think the unsalted ones would be ok. (The birds would have to beat the 20+ squirrels to them here) One caution about peanuts though- if they become moldy, they produce a substance that is highly toxic & can be potentially fatal to birds if eaten.
I toss stale unsugared cereal out for the birds too- in fact not much goes to waste around here if it can be ate by bird or beast. :)

I remember reading a few years ago something about having to be careful about bird foods as some companies that sell seeds and nuts treat them so they are not good for birds (these companies were not selling the products for feeding to wild birds), but then again it may be my over fertile imagination at play again? :hippy:

AFAIK, the problem was that the nuts were NOT treated, so were more at risk of carrying Aflatoxin, which is the fungus that kills birds.

Tony

I put out dry roasted peanuts for my birds. They go crazy for them, especially the titmouse, red-bellied woodpecker and blue jay. They always come back for more, so I guess they are okay for them. (of course I don't know for sure if it's the same birds)!!

NCLady said:
I put out dry roasted peanuts for my birds. They go crazy for them, especially the titmouse, red-bellied woodpecker and blue jay. They always come back for more.

They're probably running a bar somewhere - try putting out some olives and a bottle of Jack Daniels ! ;)

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back