• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange gull from Beijing? (1 Viewer)

This is surely one of the areas where Google translate does worst! Forums are full of non-standard items and nicknames (even this one sometimes;) ) Sorry I've not got time to work it out for you tonight... It is nice to see another side of the story though - glad you looked!

Just had a look to see how it was getting along on the Chinese Forum, using Google Translate - apologies to our Chinese members if it's messed up, this is a direct copy -

That gulls have witnessed new progress. Also photographed the old fruit before, that heads wrong. We have different opinions, you can pick up birdforum asked, there is no conclusion

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161527

The country is turning the old photos of the teacher night

Fruit old photographed, the photographs are also met. This is just not as good as the teacher's point of view a good night. This is a discussion for a long time, unable to settle down, and then decided to go to, statements birdforum posts asked. You still know more about the situation at once it, even if the foreigners do not understand the situation, do not blindly believe the foreigners.

Some truth in there :smoke:

HA HA HA, thats the best pile of nonsence i've ever read!! :-O:-O:t:

So trying to make sense of this and the other thread that has unfortunately also sprung up. Do people now accept Zhangyong's explanation that these are real images of a real bird or does the belief remain that this is a photoshop creation?

Personally, I lean towards Zhang's honesty. If it was a PS job, I don't think many would have the courage to come in here and defend it. Besides, I think these days, possibly with good reason, we are too quick to dismiss something as 'shopped.

Having said that, I can barely identify something as a gull let alone what species, so I remain an intrigued bystander who would like to read others' views.

Neil

So trying to make sense of this and the other thread that has unfortunately also sprung up. Do people now accept Zhangyong's explanation that these are real images of a real bird or does the belief remain that this is a photoshop creation?

Personally, I lean towards Zhang's honesty. If it was a PS job, I don't think many would have the courage to come in here and defend it. Besides, I think these days, possibly with good reason, we are too quick to dismiss something as 'shopped.

Having said that, I can barely identify something as a gull let alone what species, so I remain an intrigued bystander who would like to read others' views.

Neil
Well the very first pic of this gull there is no reflection in the water of its black head.As some else pointed out. Also it look exactly the same as the other gulls which it is standing beside a part from it black head. Personally speaking i still think the pic is a hoax.

Last edited:
Well the very first pic of this gull there is no reflection in the water of its black head.As some else pointed out.Personally speaking i still think the pic is a hoax.

I think the reflections are fine, all you can see on any of the gulls are just the reflections of their bellies. I don't think it's a hoax, the colour of the black changes between the photos, as it would in real life, if it is a hoax, it's someone who has gone to a lot of trouble to pull it off!

I think the reflections are fine, all you can see on any of the gulls are just the reflections of their bellies. I don't think it's a hoax, the colour of the black changes between the photos, as it would in real life, if it is a hoax, it's someone who has gone to a lot of trouble to pull it off!
Well i still think you would certainly see the reflection of its black head in the water .And how about the other faults that people have noticed with the pic

Last edited:
Well i still think you would certainly see the reflection of its black head in the water .And how about the other faults that people have noticed with the pic

you can't see a reflection of the black primaries either, and they're a lot closer to the water, nor can you see the reflections of the white heads on the other gulls, I doubt the reflection is going to tell us much. As for the other faults, well I honestly haven't a clue! o:) If it is a hoax, it's a very clever one to change the black colour of the head from one photo to another instead of leaving it the same.

re the black head looking artificial;

In the first pic in post #30 the black markings on the 2 herons and the primaries of the gulls to the left 'appear' as 'painted on' to me as the head of the gull in question.

So if this is a hoax, these markings could have been 'doctored' too IMO. (And how clever do we want the hoax to be?).

Alternatively it is a photographic artefact/lighting issue/other camera (sensor) issue which has just made these areas appear to stand out more.

In post 23. I questioned the shadow - see pic attached

Anyway, Pushing levels a little enhances a shadow of the bill that doesn't make sense to me

I think I was a little premature, looking again with fresher eyes, note the LWHG (Vega type) left hand bird, the angle of the head and the angle of the very bill slight shadow - I think this is as it should be and so the shadow on the subject bird would be right.

Also compare the two shots, the last image reversed and note the features, the slightly different angle of the head and the 'questioned' features positions on it. It looks right to me, and surely too elaborate a hoax.

The bottom line is, the posters wanted to know if it was a Franklin's Gull, a good record for China. We all know that it certainly isn't one, or is it a Laughing, Relict, Saunder's or other small BHG.

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 79
  • gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 66
  • bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Fascinating thread,

The head and jizz also look like Mediterranean Gull, but very neat for a hybrid?

Cheers G

Last edited:
Although I still think there is evidence suggesting a hoax, i'm at a loss as to why someone would go to the trouble.

So...what are the chances of a new species of Gull existing somewhere in Asia in this day and age?...Or could this be a genetic defect/throwback with one of the commoner species?...

Great thread whatever the bird is.

D.

Although I still think there is evidence suggesting a hoax, i'm at a loss as to why someone would go to the trouble.
Good question why do some birdwatchers do hoaxes.The best hoax i can remember was the stuffed Night Heron in a tree at Big Waters,Northumberland years ago it certainly fooled lots of birders.

Pallas' Gull is NOTI think...nothing to do with...apart the dimension (they are huge monster)...
However, : in pallas', the feathering on upper mandible is long and pointed, very long compared to many other great gulls, longer than the apparent feathering of lower mandible (however, if you check then the bill from below, you'll see indeed that the fetahreing its very long also on lower mandible, but hardly visible siede view)... as it is shown by Slender-billed Gull!
In any case just B :)

3:)

W Raptors

M Gulls o:D

Last edited:
LOL Andrea, note the winky

Yes, I've seen lots of Pallas's, and agree, generally, they are monsters and you can't miss the things - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/great-...lack-headed-gull-adult-summer-lesser-crested- ;)

The reason I'm struggling with this as a hoax, though I'm obviously not ruling this out, is that I'm familiar with the China birding scene which is still relatively new. They lack the history, jealousy, paranoia etc that we. ie the British Scene has here and as a result has seen an increase of hoaxes, wind-ups and deliberate stitch ups, some sinister - Steller's? some stupid and attention seeking - the cutout Sibe Thrush. I personally cannot see what the motives are here for a relatively small community to create such an elaborate hoax.

Last edited:
exactly, i can understand a hoax happening in the UK, but why on earth in China where very few people from the forum will have a chance/inclination to twitch the bird

Rockfowl you convinced me...and Indeed some small female Pallas' could have smaller head and bill and therefore also shorter bill feathering, chiefly in some head position...

I agree the most closer guess and option would be Pallas' .... may be the digital camera made the photo appearing really weard...

those bloody digital time help us a lote but also make photos really odd and weard sometimes...

You surely have seen much more Pallas than me and then I agree with your opinion....

Again, as usual, i repeat: W raptors M Gulls :-C:eat:3:)

However, surely not Laughing or Franklin's at all, but Pallas as 1st vote !

although i haven' found any pics with such small and chicken-headed GBHG after all i also think it got to be one (but had the same reaction like andrea initially). hard to imagine that we have a hybrid with, say, relict gull which is much smaller (although they've been lumped recently under genus ichtyaetus) :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back