• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A swift In Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Stan95100

In Costa Rica in February, from the top of the observation tower of the Wilson Botanical Garden (Estación Biológica Las Cruces).

A swift presented as a "Vaux" by the French-speaking and local guides.

A confirmation or not, would be welcome.

With thanks.

Stan
----------------------------------

Au Costa Rica en février, du haut de la tour d'observation du Jardin botanique wilson ( Estación Biológica Las Cruces)

Un martinet présenté comme un "Vaux" par les guides francophone et local.

Une confirmation ou pas, serait la bienvenue.

Avec mes remerciements.

Stan

Attachments

• 244A4581 Martinet.jpg
    244A4581 Martinet.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Not sure you can decide between Vaux's and Costa Rican swift based on this image alone. Perhaps "feels" a bit more like the latter for me, but only based on comparisons with Ebird pictures.

The field guide states that in Vaux, the throat is clearly paler than the lower underparts. That is not possible to judge based on this image I think. Ebird looks like maybe 2-3 times more Vaux than CR Swift at the location?
Niels

The field guide states that in Vaux, the throat is clearly paler than the lower underparts. That is not possible to judge based on this image I think. Ebird looks like maybe 2-3 times more Vaux than CR Swift at the location?
Niels
Looking at the ebird images for both species, I feel we should be able to see a clearly visibly paler throat here (for either species). We can't see that at all—at best it's extremely marginally paler. Of the 2 options, though, the images of Vaux's seem to me to have the more obvious and extended pale patch and so are less likely to have been this bird. But an image of the rump is really what we want.

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers. The birds were flying too high so I don't have better photos.

Cordially.

Stan

----------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour à tous et merci pour vos réponses.

Les oiseaux volaient trop haut et je n'ai donc pas de meilleurs photos.

cordialement.

Stan

For the gray of the throat.

The same bird if it can help with an identification ^^

Stan

-----------------------------------

Pour le gris de la gorge .

Le même oiseau si ça peut aider à une identification^^

Stan

Attachments

• 244A4567 -.jpg
    244A4567 -.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 33
Hello THE_FERN and thanks for the links, really.

The photos are without comparison with mine, and I do not find on the birds that I photographed, the gray of the rump of "Costa Rica".

Thanks again for the link to this site.

Cordially.

Stan

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour THE_FERN et merci pour les liens, vraiment.

Les photos sont sans comparaison avec les miennes, et je ne retrouve pas sur les oiseaux que j’ai photographiés, le gris du croupion du « Costa Rica ».

Encore merci pour le lien vers ce site.

Cordialement.

Stan

Salutations depuis le Costa Rica. J'ai revu ta photo et par le nombre de plumes pointues deux contre 4 ou plus à Vaux c'est une forme d'identification. Bien sûr, la forme des ailes et la partie sombre sous ce qui serait les tectrices primaires sont également essentielles.
J'espère que vous pouvez comprendre mon français, je n'ai pas écrit depuis longtemps.
Randall Ortega
www.naturegroupcr.com

Salutations depuis le Costa Rica. J'ai revu ta photo et par le nombre de plumes pointues deux contre 4 ou plus à Vaux c'est une forme d'identification. Bien sûr, la forme des ailes et la partie sombre sous ce qui serait les tectrices primaires sont également essentielles.
J'espère que vous pouvez comprendre mon français, je n'ai pas écrit depuis longtemps.
Randall Ortega
www.naturegroupcr.com
Thanks. Fine to write in French but please also supply an English translation (BirdForum "speaks" English). Here I see you're referring to the number of tail spines as an id feature. There seem to be 2 which should make it Costa Rican (cf Vaux's 4+)

Thanks. Fine to write in French but please also supply an English translation (BirdForum "speaks" English). Here I see you're referring to the number of tail spines as an id feature. There seem to be 2 which should make it Costa Rican (cf Vaux's 4+)
Greetings from Costa Rica. I saw your photo and the number of pointed feathers two against 4 or more in Vaux is a form of identification. Of course, the shape of the wings and the dark part under what would be the primary coverts are also essential.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back