• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A trip to Bushy Park in quest of Bombycillidae. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Although an invasion year they’ve led me a merry dance, with just distant black dot views + one zapping over the house last week taking no prisoners!
On both occasions no time to unleash my “bridge”.
With that in mind on a wall to wall blue, we decided to go directly main line/underground/main line to Hampton Court 21miles through town as opposed to 64 via the M25. Travelling time c4 hours + 5 hours playtime.
Having traversed the park extensively and being amazed at the proliferation of (I think Elm trees?) hosting the huge bunches of Mistletoe that the birds had been seen on the “DAY BEFORE!”😩
We weren’t complaining “Bushy” being a site tick and with such superb visibility, with us seeing our first white morph Fallow Deer, plus as many Mistle Thrushes as I’ve seen in such a long time.
Speaking to other birders the consensus was that they weren’t playing ball today, with no sightings as such!
With the light easing off slightly, it was decided to take afternoon tea c3.15pm in the “Lion Gate” cafe at the entrance to the park, on the basis that our collective 10 mile trudge had earned such a treat.
With my wife’s suggestion having it upstairs, overlooking the tree lined entrance…where we might catch a fleeting glimpse…Ha-Ha-Ha!🤣
Ten minutes into the Lemon slice between tea slurps and scanning, I caught a movement from my peripheral, “ Christ….theirs one I cried atop yonder tree!😮
Gulping tea and slice, I rattled down the stairs rushing out the door with bridge firmly gripped.
Wherein a party of seven was found, managing a half dozen frames before they zapped off threading their way through the branches at “mercurial speed”, the likes of which I wouldn’t have attributed to a species that I’m no stranger to!
The downside was travelling home in the “Crush hour”…..but hey, what a day!👍

Attachments

• DSC05053.jpeg     Wax3..jpeg
    DSC05053.jpeg Wax3..jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice one Ken, it must be nearly 40 years since I visited Bushy Park but the elms were mostly already gone even then, from memory there were huge lime trees full of mistletoe. Another favourite host in London parks is (or at least used to be) poplar. (y)

Last edited:
Nice one Ken, it must be nearly 40 years since I visited Bushy Park but the elms were mostly already gone even then, from memory there were huge lime trees full of mistletoe. Another favourite host in London parks is (or at least used to be) poplar. (y)

Interesting Torchepot!
My tree ID skills (without leaves) is marginally worse than with leaves!🤣
That said there is only one tree locally (a tall Black Poplar) that has “an orb” of Mistletoe close to the crown, suspect you’re right…Poplars/Limes they were.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back