• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (4 Viewers)

Appears to be planning to head back to Alaska, I guess his aim is both Whooper Swan and Gray-headed Chickadee (Siberian Tit), although I have not seen any records of either this winter. I guess Steller's Eider may still be there as some have been on Kodiak recently.

2016 John got Whooper Swan on the last possible moment. I think he will try to the very end this year.

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/p/this-is-listing-of-species-so-far.html
Whooper Swan

Adak, Alaska, sunset 31 December, 2016. Whew.

Attachments

• 20161231-20095200252DSC_4983.jpg
    20161231-20095200252DSC_4983.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 70
Here are the updated sheets. One week to go! I'm looking forward to getting Amanda's update along the way.
One more and John sets a new US record.
Off to do some Christmas Eve trumpeting; Happy Holidays, all!

Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    138.6 KB · Views: 33
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    618.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    179.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    665.9 KB · Views: 26
...and with the Common Pochard John sets a new US Big Year record with 833 (+1), besting his 832 in 2016. His four Canada-only species are:
Fieldfare
Dusky Thrush
Black-tailed Godwit
Black-headed Gull

(Bohemian Waxwing and Northwestern Crow were on this list, but he cleaned them up.)

Joe

Last edited:
Well, the Forum comes through once again. Robyn Weigel read my previous post, alerted John, and he found a flock of 50 Bohemian Waxwings outside of the Anchorage airport. Also, John has had Northwestern Crow multiple times in Anchorage, and photographed one on Kodiak a couple of days ago.
Off to Adak they go!

Joe

Last edited:
Congartulations to John! Marvelous Alaska Christmas run.

Is Siberian Tit (sorry, just can't get used to the american name) still possible? I understand it's very difficult, but John got it in 2016.

Here are the updated sheets. One week to go! I'm looking forward to getting Amanda's update along the way.
One more and John sets a new US record.
Off to do some Christmas Eve trumpeting; Happy Holidays, all!

Joe

I see the McQuades are in Hawaii now so I expect their numbers to jump, although I guess 800 is beyond them.

I think Amanda is close to 780.

The Deans appear to have stopped chasing anything - at least as far as eBird reports go.

For my first post about 2020: in addition to Hawaii being a great way to end a Big Year, isn’t it also a fine way to begin one? Just sayin’
Joe

Congartulations to John! Marvelous Alaska Christmas run.

Is Siberian Tit (sorry, just can't get used to the american name) still possible? I understand it's very difficult, but John got it in 2016.

They reside above the Arctic Circle, so very little light right now and -42 degrees! Of course if someone spotted one today John would be chasing it tomorrow!!!

Laura Keene

Some quick updates:
I haven't yet heard from John. I'm hoping he and Robyn are sitting in a hot tub with a cool drink!
Amanda will be sending me her lists; she thinks she ended up in the mid-790s.
I believe the Deans finished with 762+1 (Pallas's Grasshopper-Warbler).
The McQuades will have a fine finishing kick, with Hawaii at the end. I'd think they have to be pushing 770, but we'll see.

Amanda and the McQuades are still in Hawaii.
The Deans are on Adak, hopeful that they're starting their year with a lifer Whooper Swan. I'm hoping they got it as I have Adak picked for my first day of Fantasy Birding for the year (shoutout to Matt Smith!).

I'll keep everyone posted when I know anything.

Happy New Year, all!

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back