• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned Cardinal (pretty young) keeps flying into sliding glass door (1 Viewer)

Littlefini

United States
It's really sad and a miracle he hasn't been hurt because he does it at least 100 times a day, if not more. It started when new people moved in and cut down the bottom half of a very large bush that he was born in. The parents came for awhile on and off. He would pass his time flying from his bush onto a glass garage window right next to the bush, he was always doing that when awake, the parents were always bringing him food at this time. When they cut down the bush they never came back, he was always calling them though and after a week of calling, he discovered our patio door. I think he sees himself and thinks it's them. I don't know if they even taught him to hunt for food. It goes on all day. Is there anything we can do? Thank you, it is heartbreaking

Welcome to Birdforum.

Would it be possible to put up a screen of some kind, or a net curtain so that he can’t see his own reflection? As he has survived thus far, I guess he has learned how to find food. Maybe you could put out feed too, such as seed, corn and fruit?

Hi Littlefini and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Do you have a wildlife rehabilitator in your area? If so I would try and capture the little fellow and take him/her to them.

I have tried putting things up but live with my daughter and her family, its a busy area with kids going in and out also their friends so barricades don't last long and this little guy is always laying in wait for a chance to fly to the glass door, you can hear him hit but he hasn't hurt himself so far, as far as food, we know he has to learn to hunt so afraid to interfere with the natural unless we absolutely have to. Wrote here to see if anybody has ever heard of anything like this because we haven't and we have started to wonder if he could be mentally disturbed or something??? He is very beautiful and flies beautifully too. Wish he would find a mate so he won't be alone:cry:

Hi Littlefini and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Do you have a wildlife rehabilitator in your area? If so I would try and capture the little fellow and take him/her to them.
We do have one very close by but don't know if we can catch him think i will call them, thank you both very very much and will let you know how this turns out, it might happen to another person. I will try to get a picture and post it, Thank you

Welcome aboard Littlefini! Definitely try to get a hold of the wildlife rehabilitator. Good luck and let us know how it works out please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back