• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberrant swift or something rarer? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, photographed this swift from my garden 20 minutes ago, in Chislehurst, Kent, UK and it’s throwing me off because of the long tail, which is very thinly forked and a white patch on the back of the bird. I know back of the camera pictures are difficult to ID, I will get some uploaded in an hour or so. Is this just an aberrant swift or something rarer?19CD6A89-B88D-47CE-99B0-68BBDF2DCBD0.jpegD65F33A4-D279-4C9C-9264-07B9B4D58ACE.jpeg
Many thanks,
Ev

When you post the photos, could you confirm which of them you know to represent the same bird(s)? This will be important in deciding on possibilities such as Farnboro describes above. As I indicated, effects of light are the first thing to eliminate.

I don't know, but, very incidentally, I read this article yesterday, and numerous features from the part where the guide deals with spring/summer pallid swift identification seem to vaguely match features seen in the photos. I guess it involves much wishful thinking, though.

As asked, here are the original files of the aberrant swift I found. My first impressions were pacific or white-rumped at the time, but as I took more photos, it is clear that there is no white on the rump at all, and that it was either the light or an aberrant individual. I've labelled them so that you can see where I was thinking it was a mega to the actual impression of an atypical common swift.

Attachments

• initial impression 1.JPG
    initial impression 1.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 32
  • initial impression 2.JPG
    initial impression 2.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 32
  • Actual impression.JPG
    Actual impression.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
All of the white-rumped swifts have exactly that: highly contrasting bright white rumps (in any light). Yours doesn't.

That immediately reduces the choice to Common vs Pallid and there isn't anything indicative of Pallid showing on the bird, just a spot or two of directional sunlight.

For small distant images of fast moving birds high in the sky they are not bad (this doesn't mean they are good, just that in the circumstances its hard to get anything at all) and they help the identification process. I think though that you need to recognise now that "rare" means just that: maybe one rare swift in the whole of Britain at a time (or less) and you need to default to common species unless you have an obvious rarity bang to rights. You might look at the twitter images of the Sumburgh Head Pacific Swift with that in mind.

Aberrants are not all that frequent either!

Cheers

John

All part of the learning experience Ev4, well done for asking.

Always take a holistic view of ID and don't focus too much on just one feature- there are some ridiculous threads on here depicting poor images of birds in unusual lighting where one lone barely discernable feature is being used to suggest an ID- don't fall into that trap!

JW

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back