• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus rehsei (Finsch, 1883) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Acrocephalus rehsei (Finsch, 1883) OD here

In the text called:
Herrn Ernst Rehse of Berlin.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Nauru reed Warbler Acrocephalus rehsei Finsch, 1883
Ernst Rehse (DNF) was a German ornithologist whicho collected in the Pacific region (c. 1870)

The old Key:

Ernst Rehse (fl. 1880) German ornithologist, collector in the Pacific (Acrocephalus).

In Ueber seine in den Jahren 1879 bis 1882 unternommenen Reisen in der Südsee wrote Finsch p. 564:

Es ist mir ein besonderes Vergnügen , in Bezug auf die erlangten Resultate , an dieser Stelle meines treuen Reisebegleiters , des Herrn Ernst Rehse von Berlin dankend zu gedenken , der mir während der ganzen Reise als getreulicher Mitarbeiter zur Seite stand.

So maybe we can find his life dates in Berlin.

Last edited:
Some more on the journey with Finsch we can read Nova Guinea . According to Stresemann the travelled via Ornithology from Aristotle to the Present

Finsch intended to explore the atolls, rarely visted and poor in fauna, when he left on April 21, 1879, with Ernst Rehse, a preparator. They traveled by way of New York, San Francisco, and Honolulu to visit the Marshall and Gilbert Islands ( September to November 1879 ) , and then Kusaie and Ponape.

According a passenger list attached he might be 34? in 1879. Not easy to read. No idea what the occupation is.

But somehow it does not bring me closer to who he was. Maybe him William Ernest Rehse (1845-1901) - Find a Grave... ?

Attachments

• Passanger List.jpg
    Passanger List.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I make the age to be 27 or 29 on the passenger list
Assistant Ernst Carl Adolf Rehse 17 Apr 1850 (Stettin)-28 May 1903 (Berlin).

Attachments

• 40087_prep160_000188-00558.jpg
    40087_prep160_000188-00558.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 6
"der Magistrats-Bureau-Assistent Ernst Carl Adolf Rehse".
This doesn't really sound like something I would have expected a zoology preparator to become, but who knows.
Based on what Finsch wrote about him, he was not necessarily a zoologist:
"Hierbei will ich auch an dieser Stelle der treuen Mitarbeit meines Gehülfen Herrn Ernst Rehse aus Berlin gedenken, der die ganze Reise (übrigens auf meine Kosten) mitmachte und sich in jeder Hinsicht bewährte."
"Here I want to commemorate the faithful cooperation of my helper Mr. Ernst Rehse from Berlin, who took part in the entire voyage (by the way, on my expense) and proved himself in every aspect."

Based on what Finsch wrote about him, he was not necessarily a zoologist:

"Here I want to commemorate the faithful cooperation of my helper Mr. Ernst Rehse from Berlin, who took part in the entire voyage (by the way, on my expense) and proved himself in every aspect."

No, indeed, I was going by what Stresemann wrote about him.
Elsewhere, Finsch called Rehse his Reisegefährte, Begleiter, and Reisebegleiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back