• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Additional Input Sought (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Can I just check with Nikon owners that this mount is 100% ok. Especially in the first pic where there is that drop-off, nothing has been sheared off there or anything has it?

Much obliged.

Attachments

• 7O3K7403.jpg
    7O3K7403.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 7O3K7404.jpg
    7O3K7404.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 85
Hello Jaff, I've just dug out a few lenses to see what mine look like and my 300 f2.8 [which is my most worn] looks very similar with paint loss, the step off and even the position of the screw heads - the only difference is mine doesn't show the same level of scraping on the side below the step where that one has some marks - do you want me to post a picture?

Here you go - hope this helps:

Attachments

• DSC_4863.jpg
    DSC_4863.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks that's very re-assuring. Although I see the mount on your 300mm has an extra 'tab' compared to mine, is mine possibly missing something or is it just that 200-400mm's don't have that extra bit, can any 200-400mm owners shed some light? (uncropped pic attached just to illustrate)

Also quite annoying is that the aperture on the lens is very nearly closed (like at f32 or something) with no body attached making try to look through the lens for signs of internal dust almost impossible. Do all Nikon lenses do this, been a long while since I last used a Nikon lens so I don't know. Canon lenses remain wide open with no body attached so you can look them over with ease.

Most grateful for any help folk can offer.

Attachments

• 7O3K74032.jpg
    7O3K74032.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 57
Hi Jaff, take you Canon boys away from your instamatics and you are lost, lol.
Just checked my 200-400/4 for you, picture 1 looks same as mine, but with a little more paint worn, no big deal.
Picture 2 again looks the same, and if you move the lever on the left and front (pic 2) the aperature should open up to max f stop for you to see any dust.
If you/ or friend are buying this lens make sure it has the front element with it, as this comes off, unscrews ( LOOKS LIKE A BIG FILTER).this acts as a cheaper front element in case of frontal damage.
Come back if you need any more help
regards David.

Ahh mucho gracias Dave! I noticed that little lever moved but had no idea that's what it did. I should have probably read the manual which would have undoubtedly told me everything I need to know but hey, I'm a bloke! :-O

Yes I know of the bit you speak and it is indeed present and correct as is everything else. All in all the lens appears clean inside, I had shined a torch down there so I had some idea of that but good do be able to look through it properly at any rate. I'm going to try it out with a friend's camera this wkend to make sure it all works as it should, if that throws up any more questions I'll be sure to check back but I think it'll be fine. Not beyond the point of no return just yet so there's still time for common sense to spoil the party. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back