• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ADVICE: 1.4x TC with 70-200 f2.8 Versus 400 5.6? (1 Viewer)

FalcoSingh

I already own the excellent Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS (Mk1) and the secondhand Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DG will be with me in a few days. I've also now got the option of picking-up a mint Tokina 400mm f5.6 AT-X SD AF, hopefully at a good price if I decide to go that route. My camera bodies are the 5DMk2 and 550D.

My main aim is to take images of urban Peregrines perched atop a 76m tall Cathedral, other city buildings etc. and whilst in flight from ground level and also from adjacent tall buildings. I will also probably be doing some filming with both bodies. My Twitter account: @CovPeregrines

I have a heavy tripod but also have a decent monopod; the latter is my preference.

What do you guys think? Worth letting the Tokina slip by, or should I also add it to the equation?

Issues regarding max reach, IQ, AF performance of bodies/lenses, possible shutter-rate options, IS benefits etc. all come into play. Those with a little experience regarding such scenarios/options/permutations would be perfectly placed to advise me. This is my first attempt at kitting-up with birding in mind.

My main 'newbie' thought is given I really need 400mm minimum reach, what would the AF speed/tracking performance be like when shooting BIF's with the 550D/70-200/Kenko (so that's f4) versus the 5DMk2 with the 400mm f5.6?

Anyway here's all the math:

> 5DMk2:
70-200 f2.8 = 200mm @ f2.8
70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x TC = 280mm @ f4
-----
400 f5.6 = 400mm @ f5.6
400 f5.6 + 1.4x TC = 560mm @ f8

> 550D:
70-200 f2.8 = 320mm @ f2.8
70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x TC = 448mm @ f4
-----
400 f5.6 = 640mm @ f8
400 f5.6 + 1.4x TC = 896mm @ f8

Thanks,

Atma Singh

Last edited:
I would not have thought that many people on here would have used the Tokina lens which is why feedback will be sparse.
For what you are wanting to do I would think that the crop sensor would be an advantage because of reach. Regarding the focal length there is a big difference between 280mm and 400mm where birds are concerned. I know I would prefer something like the Canon 400/5.6 against the 70-200 + 1.4x tc for birds that's for sure but have not got a clue about the Tokina. For BIF (or on a pod) IS is not needed anyway.
For any f5.6 lens you will lose AF on your bodies with a 1.4x tc - sure you can try taping the tc, buying a non reporter or something like the Kenko DGX range but it is always going to be a compromise especially for BIF.
To be quite honest I cannot see that any of your options is going to be that great for what you are wanting to do (Peregrines from 76 metres or inflight).
Just my 2p's worth.

Last edited:
I've got a Tokina off someone for decent price. Let's see how it goes. If the Kenko remains unused I will sell
it on probably.

Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back