• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed in feeding and minding cygnet (1 Viewer)

Angus T

Since this is in my garden I've put it into this forum.

In brief, Mute swans nested in the garden lake. 4 hatched on June 6th. As a result of fox or other predator, there were 2 left by June 27th.
On June 28th both parents left and have not returned?? The 2 remaining cygnets survived until July 2nd, however on the 3rd (yestderday) only one could be seen.
I could hear it calling in middle of night and this morning it walked into our polytunnel which is 50m of long grass away from the lake. It didn't want to be caught, but we did.

I think this is a call for help from the cygnet, and I calling for help now.
Ideas for food water. I think we will have to fence the cygnet in to protect from fox and cats etc. We can try a paddling pool for water, but the main issue is feeding and perhaps loneliness. I'm sure it wants the company of its siblings.

I'm all ears for any ideas.

We may try introducing it to one of our hens and see what happens.

Last edited:
Hi Angus: Bird Forum is blessed with one member that has a passion for swans and their rehabilitation.The fellow lives near the Scotish boarder and can be found under the name UKswanman in this forum's membership file.I suggest you PM swanman to seek help.
Sam

samuel walker said:
Hi Angus: Bird Forum is blessed with one member that has a passion for swans and their rehabilitation.The fellow lives near the Scotish boarder and can be found under the name UKswanman in this forum's membership file.I suggest you PM swanman to seek help.
Sam
Thanks for the info Sam. I'll chase that contact right away.

I've fenced an area of the lake with nicludes the nest site. The purpose of fence is to hopefully keep swan at home and keep predators out. There also quite of bit of food material for the orphan cygnet within the fenced area. I hope its not a great underwater swimmer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back