• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed on binoculars for 7 year old (1 Viewer)

Hi BBBear, I have gone through the same thing with my 6 and 7 year old just this month. Do yourself and them a favor and get perma focus aka focus free binoculars. I too thought my kids would understand proper focusing technique and diopter adjustment and refocus when subject moves. NOPE. then throw in getting " one circle" in your vision by squeezing hinge. Again Nope. They lost interest. Gave them focus free units and now they love it again. They don't have the attention span to sit long and care about a perfect view anyway. It's " look at that" they look 2 seconds and zoom around looking at whatever. Makes it fun again. So for new, on UK Amazon look for Tasco 8x25 focus free binoculars. About 45. For Ebay, look for Bushnell or Simmons, or Tasco or Jason focus free or perma focus binoculars. Prob 10 to 30. Yes they have some limitations, like things up close not being in focus but kids don't care. Get them used to the hobby as easy as possible rather than frustrate them. Good luck whatever you do.
Wow, this was not my experience--in any way--with my kids. Kids differ from unit to unit.

--AP

My first use of binos was at age 5 or something, my maternal grand-dad painstakingly took me through the motions necesssry when using his old Zeiss jenas (I still have them) 7*30 with individual eye focus. I still (obviously, or I wouldn't be writing this!) remember his instructions and also the clarity of the zeiss (58 years ago), the last has cost me: anything less was useless! So be warned, some things stick to the mind. And the purse! But good optics last long and are well worth the vist😎

Last edited:
Two under addressed issues, especially for younger children, are the size and weight of binoculars . . .

For a 7 year old - even a Kowa 6x30 is going to seem both huge and heavy - probably like a Fujinon 7x50 for many adults.

When I give younger children an old Bushnell 6x25 reverse Porro prism to use, size wise it works well,
and the children are delighted by the magic of the magnified image.
But they invariable complain about how heavy the binocular is to hold up to look through! (at 11 oz/ 320 g)

One possibility might be the Carson Mini Scout 7x18 reverse Porro, at 4.4 oz/ 125 g, and a FOV of 490 ft/ 163 m FOV.
From US $33 at: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437168-REG/Carson_JD_718_7x18_Mini_Scout_Binocular.html

Carson 7x18.jpg

Sure it’s not going to meet many adult optical expectations, but as a binocular introduction for younger children, it seems to fit a lot of what they need.
And at the price there's not going to be too many tears if/ when an accident occurs.

See some comparative comments and images at: Multi Binocular Comparison of popular models | Kowa, Pentax, Nikon, Sightron, Atlas
It’s tiny compared to the Pentax Papilio! An image from Chicolom:

4x Reverse Porro.jpg

John

Last edited:
And excluding the Papilio's, in terms of some impromptu ultra-close viewing to add to the kids enjoyment,
there's always the old reversing the binocular and using it as a monocular, and looking at some creepy crawlies!

A couple of recent images from a Swarovski Facebook account:

Close Up.jpg

John

Last edited:
Two under addressed issues, especially for younger children, are the size and weight of binoculars . . .

For a 7 year old - even a Kowa 6x30 is going to seem both huge and heavy - probably like a Fujinon 7x50 for many adults.
I'll be sure to explain that to my 8yo niece who's been using them for 11 months since her birthday - I guess it was good I didn't give them to her 13 months ago or they might have been too big!

Hi Dr. K,

It’s good to hear that the kids in your part of the world come from much stronger stock.
I’ve certainly long held doubts about the ones that I know!

Alternatively, if you take your niece on an outing in the field with the Kowa and something much smaller and lighter . . . :unsure:

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back