• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alaska - Cordova (Copper River Delta) + Kachemak or if just one, which? (2 Viewers)

MiddleRiver

United States
Starting to think about next May and a visit to AK. Might do part B&B, part camper van rental. Both these festivals look great. Would love to hear other's thoughts on which one to prioritize and/or logistics details.
Thanks in advance!

I would use ebird to look for birding hot spots in the state. With my 6 trips to Alaska I seldom encountered songbirds but then I was in coastal or inland (Copper River basin) areas. Lots of pelagics were spotted and photographed from boats.

Between the two, I believe Cordova gets a larger number of birds but Homer gets a larger number of species on average. The Kachemak Shore Bird Festival (located in Homer) is on Alaska’s road system, about a five hour drive south of Anchorage. Cordova requires a flight. I’ve never been to Cordova but often go to Homer. The boat companies operating out of the Homer small boat harbor offer discounted trips to nearby sea bird roosts and there are guided walks around town during the festival. Between the two I would think Homer would be easier to fit in to your trip, but as always, the choice probably depends on any target birds you might have.

The Kachemak Shore Bird Festival (located in Homer) is on Alaska’s road system, about a five hour drive south of Anchorage. Cordova requires a flight. I’ve never been to Cordova but often go to Homer.
Homer is interesting, but a very, very crowded place, and Cordova easily wins if one would like to not be inundated with the crowds. Not only is Homer popular for people from out of state, but also Alaskans and the whole Kenai peninsula is a place a lot of us like to avoid if possible.

Cordova is easily accessed by the ferry system and it's a great trip, which also allows one the option of bringing their own car with them too, which is a very good thing to have once you get there. It's a long drive to get to the Copper River and not having your own car leaves you at the mercy of a tour company or otherwise.

Between the two, I believe Cordova gets a larger number of birds but Homer gets a larger number of species on average. The Kachemak Shore Bird Festival (located in Homer) is on Alaska’s road system, about a five hour drive south of Anchorage. Cordova requires a flight. I’ve never been to Cordova but often go to Homer. The boat companies operating out of the Homer small boat harbor offer discounted trips to nearby sea bird roosts and there are guided walks around town during the festival. Between the two I would think Homer would be easier to fit in to your trip, but as always, the choice probably depends on any target birds you might have.
Yes, the flight or ferry makes it more complicated. We’ll see… need to see birds as you say and logistics. Thx

Thx
Homer is interesting, but a very, very crowded place, and Cordova easily wins if one would like to not be inundated with the crowds. Not only is Homer popular for people from out of state, but also Alaskans and the whole Kenai peninsula Homer is interesting, but a very, very crowded place, and Cordova easily wins if one would like to not be inundated with the crowds. Not only is Homer popular for people from out of state, but also Alaskans and the whole Kenai peninsula is a place a lot of us like to avoid if possible.
Cordova is easily accessed by the ferry system and it's a great trip, which also allows one the option of bringing their own car with them too, which is a very good thing to have once you get there. It's a long drive to get to the Copper River and not having your own car leaves you at the mercy of a tour company or otherwise.
Thx! Yes would prefer less crowds!! Thinking of doing the rental mini camper van for a couple of weeks in AK so ferry availability is appealing. We’ve done inside passage on state ferry and really enjoyed it.

Thx! Yes would prefer less crowds!! Thinking of doing the rental mini camper van for a couple of weeks in AK so ferry availability is appealing. We’ve done inside passage on state ferry and really enjoyed it.
Ferry system, though not as good as it once was, is still very enjoyable and a far more Alaskan experience than the cruise ships, which should be saved for ship oriented trips rather than for going and seeing places.
Mini camper rental sounds great and on your way to Valdez to catch the ferry you can see Thompson Pass, Worthington Glacier, Keystone Canyon, Horsetail and Bridal Veil Falls, all without even going out of your way. Mount Blckburn and others are free for the viewing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back