• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross possible sighting Uk ?? (2 Viewers)

was going to stay out of this one - agree it looks interesting, but having no experience with albatrosses etc etc. Just wanted to link to this photo that steers me to moulting GBB, those wings do look similar.

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I...1AD6942-Great-black-backed-gull-in-flight.jpg

after looking a bit, I think the wing proportions fit a gull better - the 'hand' and 'arm' being of roughly equal lenght - albatrosses have a shorter hand compared to the inner wing. Also the lack of feet projecting/dark rear end doesn't fit the majority of albatross species (though there are doubtless plenty that would fit - not really a group I've spent time looking at).

I expect this is a GBB with a moult pattern that makes the wing look narrower, hence exaggerating its length.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I would echo the last two posters. It doesn't look like an albatross to me either, in fact my initial reaction was also large gull and I've seen quite a few albatross.
The hips aren't broad enough, albatross are rather solid looking unlike this which appears consistently tapered. The head and neck to my eye also lacks the 'bull-necked' , broad-headed feel of most of the birds I've seen.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Steve, but having seen quite a few albatrosses recently I don't believe this is one. The body shape is too 'pointy' and it lacks the chuncky head. Also the wings are a bit too short and especially too curved (first picture). In my experience albatross wings appear very straight and stiff, even when changing direction or landing; much like a Fulmar's. Concerning size, I always thought I was a decent judge until I saw a real-life albatross ;)
My guess would be a gannet, but I'd settle for a GBB gull.

Cheers,

N

The wings are showing moult, particularly the inner primaries and outer secondaries, the 'head' is too prominent and 'bulky' for an Albatross, the tail is too narrow and long as well. Allowing for the bird to be more than a bit 'burnt out' against the sky I'd say it was a Great Black-back - they can look huge at times.

Chris

ps I'd love it to be an Albatross but...............

C

Just thought Id update more photos with better contrast etc. Have a click on the thumbnails the photos should go to bigger. The originals on camera are very big file size but clearer than i can get on here.

My thoughts so far
Gannet-way to small and tail end wrong.
Gull-tail usually tapered outwards and wing shape wrong.

wing to body ratio not right according to books etc.....

Thanks to all for the input...we cant think of anything else that looks close.

cheers

Steve

Attachments

• albatross light.jpg
    albatross light.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 267
  • albo lite.jpg
    albo lite.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Wing to body ratio of GBBG is just over 2:1...these images suggest 3:1...I'm in the Albatross camp. :t:

The underwing markings, if you enlarge the picture don't look Gull species surely, nor does the tail end on any of the photos look like Gull...haven't seen a picture of anything that resembles this bird other than Albatross. The size calculation of 3:1 is exciting. What do Juvenile Albatross look like?....its head moved from side to size as if looking for someplace.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• al1.jpg
    al1.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
If you mesure the length from a wing tip to the other and the body length ton the last pix posted, the ratio is >2,6:1 and the wing are not completely extended...

That rules out cory, gannet and gull I think...

FD

I thought Gannet at first, but then the body seemed to stubby for me. The wingspan seemed far greater than anything I could think of. The rear end of Gannet usually seem a little more bulky maybe?? Also neck seems a bit short...but is hard to tell from photograph.

Cheers for input

Steve

wing span almost 6 feet wing to tail requio it was a Gannet end of

I've also been avoiding it. My gut reaction too was Gannet - but I can see a fair few problems with such a diagnosis. Is there a mollyhawk with a white tail - I can't think of one but that means nothing since I can only picture two of them just now? Could a big gull look like this. I don't know. I've decided to get forensic and look at what we can glean from the photos. The relative length of the body, hand to arms etc. I have an entirely open mind, so we shall see what happens.

Here are the body markers that I am using and the results for this bird - the wing to body will be slight underestimated since the wing is flexed, though you could estimate what it would be from the arm and hand measures if fully extended

Attachments

• cumbria.png
    cumbria.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Gannet has a near symmetrical body shape (as reported in any field guide). However if the tail was in moult (which it would need to be in order to be that shape) the ratio could be closer to the Cumbrian bird. The body is too long wrt to the wings (body=one wing) though again if the tail was missing it would be closer. However the fact that the hand is shorter than the arm is unavoidable.

Attachments

• cumbria.png
    cumbria.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 167
I struggled to find a GBBG in the same orientation - so have made do with a Herring Gull. Hand to arm and wing to body ratios are the same as the Cumbrian bird,just the body isn't as front heavy. GBBGs are of course more up front than Herring Gulls

Attachments

• cumbria.png
    cumbria.png
    176 KB · Views: 121
Finally I've done an Albert. I chose a white-tailed one. The arm is much longer than the hand (even more so than gannet)

So regrettably I have to conclude that the mystery bird is a large gull, probably in active secondary and tail moult and it is the very front heavy appearance of the bird that makes it look very odd

Attachments

• cumbria.png
    cumbria.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Do some simple photoshop cleaning of picture 3, which seems to be the clearest provided, in the original post - crop - increase crop image size - highlight shadow function - I think you start to get through the artefact and into the real bird - and the wings loose that superficial Black-browed Albatross colouration - and become much more gull like.

I lived 2 and a half years on the Falklands and as the second person writing here with a lot of Mollymawk experience - Im afraid this bird - no massive bill and protruding feet and wing shape - looks totally wrong.

After that last shot from Jane and measurements - I think we have a gull

Attachments

• cumbria bird.jpg
    cumbria bird.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 203
Do some simple photoshop cleaning of picture 3, which seems to be the clearest provided, in the original post - crop - increase crop image size - highlight shadow function - I think you start to get through the artefact and into the real bird - and the wings loose that superficial Black-browed Albatross colouration - and become much more gull like.

I lived 2 and a half years on the Falklands and as the second person writing here with a lot of Mollymawk experience - Im afraid this bird - no massive bill and protruding feet and wing shape - looks totally wrong.

After that last shot from Jane and measurements - I think we have a gull
Indeed! Very nice work. I guess this doesn't leave very much doubt anymore. Very interesting thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back