• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross possible sighting Uk ?? (1 Viewer)

Ta - here they all are side by side scaled to arm length. The Albert might show a slightly shorter hand than reality since the arm is closer to a plane perpendicular to the body than the hand,which is usually angled down slightly.

Attachments

• armsand hands.png
    armsand hands.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Fascinating thread - I've wavered from gull to albatross and back again, but the composite pic in #41 clinches it for me.

Nice work.

'Albert' the gull......

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. Its been a roller coaster and I have learnt SO much about Gulls, gannets & of course Albertross, did you know there are around 21 types of Albertross.
I have called the bird "Albert" and hope this name covers both male & female.

So, thanks to Jane Turner it seems to have been concluded that Albertross have a unique hand to arm ratio as shown by Jane using her incredible illustration. Thanks for so much effort:t:
Im very glad i posted this after a recomendation from another user on a different sight, so big thanks to that person:t:

Interestingly I passed on some photos to one or two proffesional organisations, one of which has formaly named the bird as "a Gannet in its 3rd year of moult" a good handful of people outside of this discussion also agree with Gannet...;)

Good wishes to all and thanks for your kindness, it would have been easy to ridicule this newcomer;)

& good wishes to that bird where ever it is not knowing so many people have been looking at it trying to decide this way or that.

Thanks to all

Cheers

Steve |;|

Albatross sanctuary based at Tristan Da Cunha, they emailed me with interest regarding the photos and think it is one of there's..
A Yellow nose Albatross, different wing - arm & hand ratios than the white tail example used above.

With more recent sightings in the Uk I am more convinced this was indeed an Albatross flying over Cumbria towards the East coast maybe.

Great to see more UK Albatross sightings being reported these days.

:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back