• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Chiffchaff, Common or Iberian (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken yesterday at Ria de Alvor. End of March normally a cutoff for Common, so borderline. Photos unfortunately partly (and maybe critically) obscured. Any views as to whether this is Common or Iberian?

IMG_4380 (2).JPGIMG_4381 (2).JPG

There's a few things on here that point towards common:

The spacing between primaries 4/5 and 3/4 are supposed to be roughly equal in Iberian chiff. They aren't on this bird, although I guess there is some caveat to be made about using this feature from a single photo.

The darker cheeks contrast with the yellow washed throat (ideally should merge nicely into a white throat for Iberian). The paler cheeks of Iberian also seem to reduce the contrast of the eye-ring, and we can see quite a strong eye-ring here.

The supercilium is pretty poorly defined - should be a bit stronger in Iberian.

So, I'd ID this as a common with a little bit of caution, but would wait for other opinions from people who see Iberian more regularly!

There's a few things on here that point towards common:

The spacing between primaries 4/5 and 3/4 are supposed to be roughly equal in Iberian chiff. They aren't on this bird, although I guess there is some caveat to be made about using this feature from a single photo.

The darker cheeks contrast with the yellow washed throat (ideally should merge nicely into a white throat for Iberian). The paler cheeks of Iberian also seem to reduce the contrast of the eye-ring, and we can see quite a strong eye-ring here.

The supercilium is pretty poorly defined - should be a bit stronger in Iberian.

So, I'd ID this as a common with a little bit of caution, but would wait for other opinions from people who see Iberian more regularly!
Thanks Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back