• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pin-tail or common snipe help please. Muscat, Oman, March 26, 2024 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, attached are a series of photos taken around 4:30 pm at the mouth of the Muscat River - which is more like a puddle this time of year.

For me, in favour of pin-tail are the head shape, with a roundish head and the peak appearing near the front. Also, though I am unsure if this helps, the barring on the flanks is quite minor.

I cannot tell if the tail is considered short, which would mean pintail I think, or long, in which case common. I cannot make out the width of the outer tail feathers but maybe someone with keener eyes than mine can:) for which I would be most grateful.
Unfortunately, they were busy feeding and did not spread their tail or raise their wings while I was there.
There are at least 2 snipe, as indicated by the pair in one photo. Wining the loto would be one of each of course:)
But maybe the best I can hope for is it is definitely one or the other.
Any comments, criticisms or suggestions most welcome.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1d5c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d5c.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_1d59.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d59.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 27
  • fullsizeoutput_1d5d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d5d.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_1d5f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d5f.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN8680.JPG
    DSCN8680.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN8681.JPG
    DSCN8681.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCN8684.JPG
    DSCN8684.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
Thank you Prestdj, i wasn't sure how long "long" was so pointing out which photo shows the long tail is quite helpful. That was very nice of you to comment on my photos. I think my photos make everyone else's look quite professional:)
I was not aware of the scapular id point so thank you for that as well.
much appreciated
steve

this shows the primary projection well the "macmillan guide to europe and middle eastern birds" first copy got sent to birder in iran as he wanted a bird book to id what he saw so bought a new one, for a 28 year old book its still a great addition to the collection
IMG_0273.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back