• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Almost "Bon Voyage" to the Swifts (1 Viewer)

Still around West Fife villages today.
Saw a large flock hawking over Aberlady yesterday with smaller numbers seen dipping down to drink at musselburgh lagoons.

The youngsters were still in the nest last Wednesday night as I could hear and see them. I have watched the last couple of nights and they are still whizzing around and going back into the nest at dusk, still the same group of 7 birds. I haven't seen or heard the youngsters though but I expect they are still there.
Can't be long now though. I will miss them.

edenwatcher said:
Still plenty here too Andrew. As far as I can remember they had essentially gone by this time a year ago.

Rob

Although looking back through this thread there were still 47 in St Andrews on 16th last year. Possibly these might have been passage birds though.

Still good numbers over the West Fife villages this afternoon- up to a dozen from my window as I type this -accompanied by 25-30 Black-headed Gulls -all seem to be hawking flies quite high up -no obvious big flies at ground level.

I work near to where I live so popped around to my old house. No Swifts anywhere to be seen so that follows last years pattern.

Still a few screaming around Alnwick yesterday - Sunday - but didn't see any today!!! Thought I heard one or two high up this afternoon when I came out of work but couldn't see them...will keep an eye open tomorrow for any.

Feel rather sad and forlorn to think that they'll soon be gone for another eight/nine months!

Gill

Just 2 (singles) this afternoon over Folkestone. Incidently, the latest I ever saw a swift was over Rye in the 1980's - on the 27th October! Is this a record?

Kentbloke said:
Just 2 (singles) this afternoon over Folkestone. Incidently, the latest I ever saw a swift was over Rye in the 1980's - on the 27th October! Is this a record?

Are you sure that wasn't a Pallid. They are around at that time of the year and I found one at Sizewell on 31/10/99

'Ours' seem to have left around the 1st August (-ish) but there are still odd small groups along the east norfolk coast, presumably heading south. Going on the last 2 years they'll probably still be a few coming through for a couple of weeks

Last year I made the mistake of contributing to this thread with the result that my mailbox nearly always had a new mail: " xxx has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled...", and what followed was the not surprising reporting of the sightings of swifts, the majority leaving in August, but sightings continuing right through to November. Since this is bound to happen again this year do I now have to steel myself against these extremely repetitive reports or is there any way I can be 'unsubscribed' from the thread - I don't suppose there is?

Perhaps as a variant folks will comment on other migrant species which will also exhibit the same predictable pattern - the majority leaving within a set period but stragglers being sighted right through until November/December. Please try and come up with something new and interesting!

Alan Hill

alanhill said:
Last year I made the mistake of contributing to this thread with the result that my mailbox nearly always had a new mail: " xxx has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled...", and what followed was the not surprising reporting of the sightings of swifts, the majority leaving in August, but sightings continuing right through to November. Since this is bound to happen again this year do I now have to steel myself against these extremely repetitive reports or is there any way I can be 'unsubscribed' from the thread - I don't suppose there is?

Perhaps as a variant folks will comment on other migrant species which will also exhibit the same predictable pattern - the majority leaving within a set period but stragglers being sighted right through until November/December. Please try and come up with something new and interesting!

Alan Hill

Thanks Alan

BTW, you contributed to this thread again. lol

Another BTW. You can unsubscribe from a thread. Look at the bottom of your e-mail alert. There is an unsubscribe link there.

Kentbloke said:
:'D Oo err, I'm new on here and wasn't aware this boring thread was a repeat! I get confused - is it 2004 or 2005?

I'm sorry you feel that it is boring. Yes I did start this thread in 2004 and resurrected it this year. Quite a few people have a passion about Swifts but obviously you don't. Fine, no problem, so why enter a thread about them?

Kentbloke said:
Reader Wrong end of the stick mate! I was laughing at your BTW to Alan and his comment re: boring thread!

Sorry Kentbloke, I mis-read you.

I take it all back. lol

We have had quite a few Swifts around my house here in Taunton this Summer, but by last Wednesday they had all departed. Stunning birds, always been one of may favourites. Always sad to see them go. But you never know, a Purple Martin would put a smile on my face. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back