• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen 20-60x80 Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

mrh1958

I have one of the Alpen model 788 w/soft case spotting scope that is brand new and am thinking of listing it here, are these a good scope? I haven't used it yet but I have an old Spacemaster that does all I need. I know this one lists elsewhere on the net for 499.99. I will sell mine for quite a bit less than that, let me know what you think. I use Paypal only.

Hello,

Welcome to BirdForum! I found reviews of this spotter online. Some people had problems with the tripod that was supplied with this spotter, I guess it is now plastic instead of metal. Also there are sample variations in most all spotters, if it was me I would get it out of the box and look through it and see if 60x looks good, in good seeing of course. If it looks good, say so.

I missed it you do have it for sale. Good luck selling it!

Last edited:
I'd be interested what the views are like, in yrs gone by the scope got some strangely high review marks by 1 group..seeing as though it has no ED glass

I'd be interested what the views are like, in yrs gone by the scope got some strangely high review marks by 1 group..seeing as though it has no ED glass

I have the Alpen 786, a straight spotting scope and the 788 is the 45* model. It works well and seems relatively sharp enough. But it suffers from purple fringing. So, if you are viewing birds on the water on an overcast day and the water is that bright white, you'll see plenty of purple fringing. I find it annoying to see that heavy fringing. I have written about the Alpen in this forum.

Then I purchased the Celestron M2 80 (45* model) and it is leaps and bounds better optically over the Alpen 786. The Celestron looks sharper too and much less fringing as it has the proper ED type glass. I don't use the Alpen anymore. It does sell at a good price which may be one reason it gets good reviews. But if one can spend a bit more, I'd recommend the Celestron over it any day. Scoping is much more fun when the image is sharp and has little purple fringing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back