• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternatives to Twitter / X for birders (1 Viewer)

Yep, multiple accounts is not the answer, I think you are right.

In the final analysis the idea of decentralisation is - well, lack of centralisation and that is the greatest benefit. Perhaps that is the only real benefit.

I wonder whether eventually most users would clump up into just a handful of servers based on moderation policies, as you suggest.
I think something will change or evolve. It's very popular with a lot of people, so has got most things right.
It's just the issue of being in one community and a sense of guilt when you post something totally unrelated, or despising your fellow community members for filling the local feed with jokes etc!

One thing I have noticed. Mastodon is the only network that plays nicely with my wordpress blog. Bluesky, and threads, completely mangle the blog link into just a clickable wordpress logo. Mastodon automatically posts when I publish a blog entry, and displays the blog preview. VERY slick, or to be honest how it should be for all the sites!

I did not realize twitter had value to birders?! I've always avoided it, wanting to lower my politics stress level...
Can someone give me an example of someone they follow so I can see what sort of content they post?
I don't use twitter for birding anymore, but when I lived in NYC it was the most reliable place to get information on interesting/rare birds being seen in Central Park and adjacent areas of the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back