• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And yet another "How Many......" thread. Buntings and New World Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Yep, grassquits and seedeaters are actually tanagers. Yellow-faced Grassquit and White-collared Seedeater are the only tanagers I have seen so far.

You should start a " How many Tanagers" thread. Just to be a total sod.

Chris
If somebody did that, I don't think I'd had a clue what to put in it, and what to leave out of it; seems to change day to day. (I realize this is a sort of illusion, caused by learning of the changes long after the fact...)

What the heck is a tanager, anyway? I used to think that I knew. I take it from what Mysticete says (added to where he lives), that Piranga is definitely out, though.

Can I safely assume, based on what csanchez writes, that Tangara is still safe? :h?:

Can I safely assume, based on what csanchez writes, that Tangara is still safe?

Peter,

Yes, Tangara is still in, as well as other "classic" tanagers such as Thraupis, Ramphocelus, Tachyphonus, Dacnis, and Cyanerpes. However, Thraupidae lost Piranga and Habia (Ant-Tanagers) as well as several other genera. Thraupidae gained the Saltators though, and it seems like a done deal (95% certain) that Seedeaters, Grassquits, and Flowerpiercers will be in Thraupidae as well.

Carlos

Taxonomy in flux is probably your best resource on figuring out what is or isn't a tanager...

http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List32.html#thraupidae

Thank you, yes, that is just the kind of summary I needed.

Ah, good old cladistics! It has been a while since I did any biology. I once took an evolution course, which touched on this sort of thing, but I've forgotten most of it. However, "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is taking molecular biology this term, I'll ask her to explain it all to me...

Peter,

Yes, Tangara is still in, as well as other "classic" tanagers such as Thraupis, Ramphocelus, Tachyphonus, Dacnis, and Cyanerpes. However, Thraupidae lost Piranga and Habia (Ant-Tanagers) as well as several other genera. Thraupidae gained the Saltators though, and it seems like a done deal (95% certain) that Seedeaters, Grassquits, and Flowerpiercers will be in Thraupidae as well.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos - that probably covers all the genera in this rough 'group' that I have encountered. (I must say the inclusion of Saltator comes as a bit of a surprise! Always felt that they were distinctly "cardinal-y" - which goes to show how much good a "feeling" is, when it comes to taxonomy).

I'm really going to have to reorg my list now.

That's 117 now.

Nelson's Sparrow - Ontario

( Cheers Peter :t: )

Chris

[*ethereal/mechanical voice*] Glad to be of service....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back