• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angus Hills and Glens (3 Viewers)

Visited a couple of glens yesterday. Red Kite, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Ring Ouzel, Tree Pipit and Cuckoo were the highlights. Also Red deer herd (all male) and my first ever Scottish Adder (pic)

P.S - Found the road into Glen Lethnot is closed, and has been for a while. Why it is not signposted at the turn off into the glen, instead of at the actual closure, is a mystery.

Attachments

• DSCN9109.jpg
    DSCN9109.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9111.jpg
    DSCN9111.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 11
Visited a couple of glens yesterday. Red Kite, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Ring Ouzel, Tree Pipit and Cuckoo were the highlights. Also Red deer herd (all male) and my first ever Scottish Adder (pic)

P.S - Found the road into Glen Lethnot is closed, and has been for a while. Why it is not signposted at the turn off into the glen, instead of at the actual closure, is a mystery.
Was the Glen Cruik road to Waterhead also closed (the other access to Glen Lethnot that joins the West Water road)?
MJB

Was the Glen Cruik road to Waterhead also closed (the other access to Glen Lethnot that joins the West Water road)?
MJB
Possibly not, but I am not that familiar with the area. We hiked up the road a bit from the barrier, and that is where we got a Cuckoo, which was our main target, so no real harm done.

Finally made it up to Glen Esk for a drive to the top and a short walk, all the migrants seem to have gone, saw one Wheatear on a post, but the raptors put on a rather brief show, one Golden Eagle seen and another possible, we were driving and it vanished behind us. Two Red Kites and another possible, one on the road on some road kill. Two Buzzards to finish off the trip. As usual at this time of year a lot of Pheasant poults everywhere and a lot get squished on the road, I just hope the Kites are street wise and know the green cross code.

Had a nice trip up Glen Esk on a sunny afternoon, star spot was a Golden Eagle, we now see these quite often which is a refreshing change for this glen and it's past. 2 Red Kite,, Kestrel, 3 Red Squirrels, small flock of Stonechats, a lot of game birds, Pheasants and Red Legged Partridge, Wren, Blackbird, Jackdaws and Carrion Crows.

November 15th 2023 - At Backwater, took a fast walk up to the Shrike location yesterday, had a quick scan of the area it has been seen in, nothing! About to turn and head back and there it was on the fence right next to the track. Flew off up into the tree-line as soon as I grabbed this shot. :)20231115 - Great Grey Shrike at Backwater.jpg
Pretty sure it's laughing in the next shot :confused:
20231115 - Distant Great Grey Shrike at Backwater.jpg
Also sighted a large-ish flock of Crossbills up there, around 30 birds.
20231115 - Crossbill male munching in a pine-2.jpg 20231115 - Young female Crossbill picking her cone-2.jpg
Loved watching the young female Crossbill manoeuvring a whole pine cone to a better spot, before getting stuck in.
The Green Woodpecker perched long enough for a long shot then, shot away! :)
20231115 - Distant Green Woodpecker at backwater.jpg

Grey Heron, Cormorant, Bullfinch galore, Coal Tit, Great & Blue Tits, Goldcrest, Robins and Chaffinch also seen.

That Diver at Backwater Reservoir
I couldn't resist this morning and headed back up to the reservoir and to the opposite side just to see if it was still there, if not, I could drive back to the dam, park up and walk my usual route.
I parked at the top car park after a cautious drive up the road, VERY icy and cold this morning but all was well, I've since seen and passed Gary (gritter) twice.
There was a fair amount of activity in the area below the car park so I walked carefully down to the trees by the shore and set myself up to scan the water. A young Mute Swan, several Wigeon and a few Mallard started vacating the area and a Goldeneye female carried on feeding but moving further away but, way up towards the top of the reservoir ............. the diver! Still here.
20231206 - Young Mute swan and Wigeon.jpg
20231206 - Wigeon pair at Backwater.jpg
20231206 - Goldeneye female at backwater.jpg
20231206 - Diver at backwater.jpg
Not much closer but, I've tried to keep the edit cleaner.
I also grabbed a short video in an attempt to clarify markings etc. I have many more shots, it did move a little closer so, I'll add more soon.
Diver video clip on YouTube

That Diver at Backwater Reservoir
I couldn't resist this morning and headed back up to the reservoir and to the opposite side just to see if it was still there, if not, I could drive back to the dam, park up and walk my usual route.
I parked at the top car park after a cautious drive up the road, VERY icy and cold this morning but all was well, I've since seen and passed Gary (gritter) twice.
There was a fair amount of activity in the area below the car park so I walked carefully down to the trees by the shore and set myself up to scan the water. A young Mute Swan, several Wigeon and a few Mallard started vacating the area and a Goldeneye female carried on feeding but moving further away but, way up towards the top of the reservoir ............. the diver! Still here.
View attachment 1547329
View attachment 1547330
View attachment 1547331
View attachment 1547332
Not much closer but, I've tried to keep the edit cleaner.
I also grabbed a short video in an attempt to clarify markings etc. I have many more shots, it did move a little closer so, I'll add more soon.
Diver video clip on YouTube
Looks a clear Red-throated Diver here (although to be fair it always has done ;)).

Frustratingly saw the beast from that side on Sunday... But he was way over the other side constantly diving, and when not seemed to be half submerged. Only able to see the bill more often than not!! And that not clearly. Yellow-bellied momentarily flashed through my mind!

Eventually wrote it off as a cormorant!!

Excuse any errors .. written on my phone from a hospital bed.

Frustratingly saw the beast from that side on Sunday... But he was way over the other side constantly diving, and when not seemed to be half submerged. Only able to see the bill more often than not!! And that not clearly. Yellow-bellied momentarily flashed through my mind!

Eventually wrote it off as a cormorant!!

Excuse any errors .. written on my phone from a hospital bed.
Hope you're well 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back