• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Shark death in the Red Sea (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
What's happening in the Red Sea, third (?) death this year due to shark attack?

I've seen the video, it wasn't a one hit 'nibble' like you see with a Great White, it swam around him and mauled him in a vicious and sustained attack by what they say is a Tiger Shark and which they say they've caught.

What's happening in the Red Sea, third (?) death this year due to shark attack?

I've seen the video, it wasn't a one hit 'nibble' like you see with a Great White, it swam around him and mauled him in a vicious and sustained attack by what they say is a Tiger Shark and which they say they've caught.
Would be nice if they (BBC) could correctly id sharks in their photos. Looks like a black tip (the clue's in the name)...

Would be nice if they (BBC) could correctly id sharks in their photos. Looks like a black tip (the clue's in the name)...
You can see a black tip to the dorsal fin at one point in the video. I think this rules out a tiger shark...

You can see a black tip to the dorsal fin at one point in the video. I think this rules out a tiger shark...
Well they say they've caught it so ID shouldn't be an issue and Tiger is far more likely to attack like this?

Must admit, I didn't know there were Tiger Sharks in the Red Sea.

Well they say they've caught it so ID shouldn't be an issue and Tiger is far more likely to attack like this?

Must admit, I didn't know there were Tiger Sharks in the Red Sea.
They said they'd caught a tiger shark but provided no evidence it was involved. Tiger sharks obviously do attack, but so do black-tips. The video shows a shark with a black splodge on the dorsal: tiger sharks don't have this. So either there were 2 sharks or they've caught the wrong one. Not sure recent red sea attacks have involved tiger sharks iirc.

They said they'd caught a tiger shark but provided no evidence it was involved. Tiger sharks obviously do attack, but so do black-tips. The video shows a shark with a black splodge on the dorsal: tiger sharks don't have this. So either there were 2 sharks or they've caught the wrong one. Not sure recent red sea attacks have involved tiger sharks iirc.
I don't recall a culprit species being named at all in the other two attacks?

Saw a programme on it a few years ago when there was a spate of attacks. Can't remember the species involved but sharks were being lured in for tourists to swim with. Evidently too close to the main tourist beaches.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that ships transporting camels from Australia to parts of Arabia for meat mostly (there's a bunch of ironies in there) were heaving deaders over the side and attracting Oceanic White-tips that subsequently followed the ships up into the Red Sea and attacked tourists. Oceanic White-tips were of course implicated in the USS Indianapolis disaster....

Tigers will eat anything anywhere anytime.

John

I've seen lots of responsible Galapagos holidays advertising snorkelling trips in which they say you might encounter Blacktip Sharks. They don't seem to think there's anything particularly dangerous about this although no doubt you wouldn't want to do anything to provoke sharks like feeding them like I've seen happens in some places.

I've seen lots of responsible Galapagos holidays advertising snorkelling trips in which they say you might encounter Blacktip Sharks. They don't seem to think there's anything particularly dangerous about this although no doubt you wouldn't want to do anything to provoke sharks like feeding them like I've seen happens in some places.
Bear in mind Blacktip Shark and Blacktip Reef Shark are not the same thing....

John

Bear in mind Blacktip Shark and Blacktip Reef Shark are not the same thing....

John
The descriptions I've seen on those tour sites had mainly mentioned the reef sharks but you could encounter either there. So yes it seems that if attacked the Blacktip Shark is potentially more dangerous, but it seems that neither is particularly aggressive. Here's a description of the two from Wikipedia (there are links to sources in each):

"Blacktip sharks showing curiosity towards divers has been reported, but they remain at a safe distance. Under most circumstances, these timid sharks are not regarded as highly dangerous to humans. However, they may become aggressive in the presence of food, and their size and speed invite respect. As of 2008, the International Shark Attack File lists 28 unprovoked attacks (one fatal) and 13 provoked attacks by this species. Blacktip sharks are responsible annually for 16% of the shark attacks around Florida. Most attacks by this species result in only minor wounds."

"Under most circumstances, the blacktip reef shark has a timid demeanor and is easily frightened away by swimmers. However, its inshore habitat preferences bring it into frequent contact with humans, and thus it is regarded as potentially dangerous. As of early 2009, 11 unprovoked attacks and 21 attacks total (none fatal) were listed on the International Shark Attack File that are attributable to the blacktip reef shark. Most attacks involve sharks biting the legs or feet of waders, apparently mistaking them for their natural prey, and do not result in serious injury."

The descriptions I've seen on those tour sites had mainly mentioned the reef sharks but you could encounter either there. So yes it seems that if attacked the Blacktip Shark is potentially more dangerous, but it seems that neither is particularly aggressive. Here's a description of the two from Wikipedia (there are links to sources in each):

"Blacktip sharks showing curiosity towards divers has been reported, but they remain at a safe distance. Under most circumstances, these timid sharks are not regarded as highly dangerous to humans. However, they may become aggressive in the presence of food, and their size and speed invite respect. As of 2008, the International Shark Attack File lists 28 unprovoked attacks (one fatal) and 13 provoked attacks by this species. Blacktip sharks are responsible annually for 16% of the shark attacks around Florida. Most attacks by this species result in only minor wounds."

"Under most circumstances, the blacktip reef shark has a timid demeanor and is easily frightened away by swimmers. However, its inshore habitat preferences bring it into frequent contact with humans, and thus it is regarded as potentially dangerous. As of early 2009, 11 unprovoked attacks and 21 attacks total (none fatal) were listed on the International Shark Attack File that are attributable to the blacktip reef shark. Most attacks involve sharks biting the legs or feet of waders, apparently mistaking them for their natural prey, and do not result in serious injury."
Yep. I agree your diagnosis. The numbers of attacks are obviously low compared to the number of humans in the oceans at any time but I wonder how they compare to the number deliberately seeking out sharks or entering their prime habitats. In any case it's my opinion that whatever happens the sharks are not at fault and humans need to accept that sometimes they are prey without a right of revenge killing.

John

I think the full name is Oceanic Black-tip.
Not according to good old Wikipedia: "Other common names used for the blacktip shark include blackfin shark, blacktip whaler, common or small blacktip shark, grey shark, and spotfin ground shark."

Looks like they didn't miss much?

Oceanic White-tip, yes.

John

Some previous attacks off Egypt were attributed to the dumping of animal carcasses at sea - this had attracted Sharks to the area which then happened upon the humans...

Last year's ones were presumably the same shark as they were 700m and a few days apart. Bull and Tiger were the likely candidates as it was inshore and not really in Oceanic whitetip habo. We got stripey suits last summer to be sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back