• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas about this sparrow from near Kingston Ontario? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Jim.
Savannah Sparrows are still around. It was the yellowish colour (photo taken about 10 am) that confused me. I could see the colour by eye, so it is not a camera aberration.

Thanks Jim.
Savannah Sparrows are still around. It was the yellowish colour (photo taken about 10 am) that confused me. I could see the colour by eye, so it is not a camera aberration.
The yellow is probably exaggerated by the lighting I'm guessing.

Thanks for the replies.
The photo was taken with the sun already high and no shadows or cloud to interfere with colour. Just for interest, in your experience, any chance it could be diet?

My guess is partly due to lighting and partly due to age. To me, the blurriness of the streaks and what looks like loose/fluffy plumage on the chest and belly suggest this is a juvenile. Other sparrows (Song comes to mind) can have an extra buffy or yellowish wash for several weeks after fledging.

birdmeister:
I was assuming the bird was a juvenile. Your explanation of the yellow wash does provide the answer. I didn't see another Savannah Sparrow like it, but as you indicate, the lighting may have enhanced the variation.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back