• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

Those who've read my previous posts may be acquainted with my interest in weasels. In a former thread, I discussed the question about their elusiveness, and why they seem to have adapted so poorly to urbanized areas. (This question was never clearly answered.)
I had already posted a thread about creating weasel-friendly properties. But I had dismissed the idea that they would be roaming around our neighborhood.

Well, for the first time, I was excited to have possibly seen ermine tracks less than a mile from our house. The tracks were of a bounding animal, like a squirrel, but in a more open field habitat. One trackway seemed to lead into a tunnel under the snow. I also saw the tracks of tiny rodentlike mammals and their tunnels.
It figures that weasels would not be afraid of venturing into our town. The habitat, consisting of open fields, scrubby bushes, and large river, is ideal.
And a nearby out-of-town supermarket in fact once had a weasel invade while searching for mice.

Our neighborhood has many predators. Neighborhood cats roam around without restriction, dogs are often unleashed, and I even saw a red fox behind our house.
Unrestricted cats are also likely to kill rodents and bring them to their houses, depriving the forever-hungry predators of valuable sustenance in winter.
And worst of all, they are small enough that the cats may be killing the ermines themselves.

My question now concerns what I could possibly do to help them thrive in our neighborhood area. I had thought of preserving our rodent populations, but this sounds like a terrible idea. Does it?
Our lot is rather small, less than an acre. Our neighbors have mostly open lawns. The owner of the property piles up brush piles apparently every year, but I'm sure that they eventually clear them out. The unrestricted cats and sometimes even dogs venture into our yard.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we could do to contribute to assisting these mammals on our small woodlot? Does anyone have any ideas on how we could keep our yard a safe haven for them and the small mammals that they hunt?
Any input would be appreciated, especially from experience. Thanks! God bless!

Create a dense cover of shrubs, including low growing forms. You could also set lengths of small diameter clay pipe in the ground. Basicallly create cover that's difficult to penetrate. It will of course also provide cover for rats if they're present in the neighbourhood...

In a former thread, I discussed the question about their elusiveness, and why they seem to have adapted so poorly to urbanized areas. (This question was never clearly answered.)
Not directly relating to your question, but weasels have successfully adapted to urban environments in aome areas - if ever in Egypt and staying in central Cairo, weasils are pretty abundant, clearly linked to the abundance of small rodents. I stayed a while in a place several floors up and could see them hunting on flat roofs, alleyways, etc .

I had thought of preserving our rodent populations, but this sounds like a terrible idea.

No rodents, no food, no weasils.

It's great to hear about your interest in weasels and your efforts to support them in your neighborhood! Here are a few suggestions:

1. Provide habitat: You can make your yard more hospitable to weasels and their prey by planting native shrubs and trees, which will provide cover and food for small mammals. You can also create brush piles or rock piles, which will provide hiding places for small animals.
  2. Reduce predation: As you mentioned, cats and dogs can pose a threat to weasels and their prey. You can try to reduce the number of free-roaming cats in your neighborhood by encouraging your neighbors to keep their cats indoors or to use cat enclosures or leashes. You can also discourage dogs from entering your yard by putting up a fence or using deterrents like motion-activated sprinklers.
  3. Provide food: While you don't want to intentionally feed weasels (as this can create dependency and disrupt natural ecosystems), you can try to provide food for their prey. For example, you could put up bird feeders or plant sunflowers, which will attract birds and squirrels.
  4. Educate your neighbors: You can help support weasels and their prey by educating your neighbors about the importance of native plants, the dangers of free-roaming cats, and the benefits of coexisting with wildlife.
It's important to remember that weasels and their prey are part of a complex ecosystem, and it's difficult to predict the effects of any one action. However, by taking steps to reduce predation, provide habitat, and educate your neighbors, you can help support these fascinating animals in your community. Good luck!

Create a dense cover of shrubs, including low growing forms. You could also set lengths of small diameter clay pipe in the ground. Basicallly create cover that's difficult to penetrate. It will of course also provide cover for rats if they're present in the neighbourhood...
Miraculously, I have never seen rats in our town, only white-footed mice and short-tailed shrews. I do believe that white-footed mice sometimes cause problems as well, though? I believe we once had a winter infestation of them way back at our old Connecticut house.

Any shrub or plant suggestions? Are there any that would provide winter cover?

Not directly relating to your question, but weasels have successfully adapted to urban environments in aome areas - if ever in Egypt and staying in central Cairo, weasils are pretty abundant, clearly linked to the abundance of small rodents. I stayed a while in a place several floors up and could see them hunting on flat roofs, alleyways, etc .

No rodents, no food, no weasils.
I've heard of those Egyptian weasels. But in Europe and North America, weasels seem to be restricted to rural habitats. It figures that they would adjust the same as the Egyptian ones to hunting for city rodents and human rubbish, but they just never did.

I know that I'd have to attract rodents to attract weasels, but I would only worry if they never show up. Weasels are rodent terminators, and if they are present rodents should not be taking over.

It's great to hear about your interest in weasels and your efforts to support them in your neighborhood! Here are a few suggestions:

1. Provide habitat: You can make your yard more hospitable to weasels and their prey by planting native shrubs and trees, which will provide cover and food for small mammals. You can also create brush piles or rock piles, which will provide hiding places for small animals.
  2. Reduce predation: As you mentioned, cats and dogs can pose a threat to weasels and their prey. You can try to reduce the number of free-roaming cats in your neighborhood by encouraging your neighbors to keep their cats indoors or to use cat enclosures or leashes. You can also discourage dogs from entering your yard by putting up a fence or using deterrents like motion-activated sprinklers.
  3. Provide food: While you don't want to intentionally feed weasels (as this can create dependency and disrupt natural ecosystems), you can try to provide food for their prey. For example, you could put up bird feeders or plant sunflowers, which will attract birds and squirrels.
  4. Educate your neighbors: You can help support weasels and their prey by educating your neighbors about the importance of native plants, the dangers of free-roaming cats, and the benefits of coexisting with wildlife.
It's important to remember that weasels and their prey are part of a complex ecosystem, and it's difficult to predict the effects of any one action. However, by taking steps to reduce predation, provide habitat, and educate your neighbors, you can help support these fascinating animals in your community. Good luck!
It would be quite intimidating to confront our neighbors about their cats and dogs. Maybe I could just put a sign up near our driveway?
I honestly doubt that many would be interested in preserving weasels. They are usually seen as vermin, even though no one has poultry here. I can definitely contribute by restraining my own pets, though.
Maybe they'll listen if it concerns birds. I love cats, but I was sad to see what appeared to be evidence of sparrow and junco casualties.
Most people love birds enough to try to stop their pets when they are killing them.

I really appreciate your input! But for other readers, this thread is not finished. I need all the help I can get!

Did you find anything since then? I was going to post a new thread about cats and have found this one... I already have piles of wood, branches and cuttings.

I have the same issue, lots of cats... at least 6 individuals on a regular basis. On trailcamera they are the 3rd most common species after foxes and deers... (but foxes move more and faster, so they might get caught on camera more often despite less individuals). Only 1 of these cats looks like it's living without an owner, in fact my parents used to feed it's grandma or great grandma decades ago, same colors, she was obviously living outside, sometimes having a litter of kitten in our plot of land... the rest of them are well fed and well groomed, but they still prey on all kind of rodents, including dormouses, it's obvious on some photos.

First I was angry to see them hunting here on a daily basis, I even threw things at them to chase them, then I thought about capturing them to release them far away (I don't even know who the owners are, the closest houses are hundreds of meters away, the next houses even further away. Then I got acustomed to see them, sometimes they even leave some prey near me, while keeping their distances, which is a bit weird... they don't seem to hunt or capture too many birds, but maybe they keep them for their owner!

Despite all these predators, there is still a large number of rodents, at least some years, yet I also notice that weasels are almost absent, I only spotted 1 stool 1 time, and 1 animal was caught on trailcamera, but that's all, in 4 years that I'm keeping an eye on mammals.

I heard that cats hunt them, and weasels stand no chance, unlike martens... Martens may also prey on them I suppose, and foxes too, but foxes can't climb on trees...

After I invested in a PCP pellet rifle I have seen far fewer roaming cats and dogs on my property. Where I live it is illegal to allow dogs to run free and so the county animal control is involved. For cats there are no restrictions in the USA whatsoever and there is the misguided belief that trapping and neutering and releasing feral cats is humane and a way to control the damage they do to the local birds and mammals and reptiles. Cat owners think that their pets need to be outdoors to be happy and the reality is that indoor only cats tend to live 10 years longer.

I cannot trap the cats without possibly getting a skunk or a raccoons or a opossum so the have-a- heart trap approach was a bust. It is illegal to trap and release squirrels somewhere, but no one thinks that being cruel to ferel cats with the TNR programs is important. New Zealand and Australia are giving serious consideration to killing free roaming cats that are destroying local wildlife and one can only hope that this thinking becomes prevalent in other countries.

Did you find anything since then? I was going to post a new thread about cats and have found this one... I already have piles of wood, branches and cuttings.
Fortunately, no more evidence of bird casualties were noticed or made obvious.
The sparrow, which was found dead near our window, may have been killed by a collision rather than a cat in our backyard. But I did see a cat, a domestic cat, carrying a dead junco in our neighborhood.
They've also chased squirrels and almost certainly killed many mice.

Since domestic cats tend to bring their prey to their own properties, there may be more predations than I am aware of.

I have the same issue, lots of cats... at least 6 individuals on a regular basis. On trailcamera they are the 3rd most common species after foxes and deers... (but foxes move more and faster, so they might get caught on camera more often despite less individuals). Only 1 of these cats looks like it's living without an owner, in fact my parents used to feed it's grandma or great grandma decades ago, same colors, she was obviously living outside, sometimes having a litter of kitten in our plot of land... the rest of them are well fed and well groomed, but they still prey on all kind of rodents, including dormouses, it's obvious on some photos.
I've seen more than 6 cats roaming our area. They are by far the most common mammal that we see, which isn't unusual since we live in a town surrounded by civilization and open fields.

One of our neighbors told us that some of them raised kittens in the town. The majority of the cats suggest tameness and don't appear feral.

Last edited:
Despite all these predators, there is still a large number of rodents, at least some years, yet I also notice that weasels are almost absent, I only spotted 1 stool 1 time, and 1 animal was caught on trailcamera, but that's all, in 4 years that I'm keeping an eye on mammals.

I heard that cats hunt them, and weasels stand no chance, unlike martens... Martens may also prey on them I suppose, and foxes too, but foxes can't climb on trees...
Weasels are often more abundant than they appear.
I've only ever seen tracks, but one of my dad's coworkers saw and trapped one in a supermarket.

They are almost impossible to capture on camera. They move too fast to set off motion sensors, and spend too much time under the cover of debris, burrows, and snow tunnels.
Ideally, a trail camera setup for weasels and other small mammals should be in a shelter resembling a burrow or cave.

I've tried to capture short-tailed shrews on trail camera for years, without any success despite their abundance, until I completely buried the camera under the cover of snow. I'd imagine something similar would work for weasels.

Where we live, martens are much more elusive and endangered than weasels. Foxes, cats, minks, and raptors take their toll, but weasels seem to be common despite this.

We've seen the tracks of weasels, voles, and foxes along an open field where we saw a mink along a river, suggesting that weasels can persist despite the presence of foxes and minks.
Weasels can escape foxes by climbing trees, but usually escape under dense cover or snow.

(Under the assumption that you live in Europe, the "weasels" I'm referring to are actually stoats.)

I cannot trap the cats without possibly getting a skunk or a raccoons or a opossum so the have-a- heart trap approach was a bust. It is illegal to trap and release squirrels somewhere, but no one thinks that being cruel to ferel cats with the TNR programs is important. New Zealand and Australia are giving serious consideration to killing free roaming cats that are destroying local wildlife and one can only hope that this thinking becomes prevalent in other countries.
Not just thinking about it, none of the attached links are for the squeamish.

After I invested in a PCP pellet rifle I have seen far fewer roaming cats and dogs on my property. Where I live it is illegal to allow dogs to run free and so the county animal control is involved. For cats there are no restrictions in the USA whatsoever and there is the misguided belief that trapping and neutering and releasing feral cats is humane and a way to control the damage they do to the local birds and mammals and reptiles. Cat owners think that their pets need to be outdoors to be happy and the reality is that indoor only cats tend to live 10 years longer.

I hate how dogs are restricted but cats are allowed to roam anywhere.
I don't believe that all cats should be deprived of outdoor activities, but "catios" and cat-proof fences should be built in those cases.

I appreciate the efforts of TNR, and feral cats don't bother me as much as the free-roaming domestic cats that create them by breeding and raising feral kittens. Since feral cats are often killed by cars, coyotes, and diseases, they can only persist by breeding. But as long as domestic cats are breeding and raising feral kittens, feral cat populations will persist.

They are almost impossible to capture on camera. They move too fast to set off motion sensors, and spend too much time under the cover of debris, burrows, and snow tunnels.
Ideally, a trail camera setup for weasels and other small mammals should be in a shelter resembling a burrow or cave.

I've tried to capture short-tailed shrews on trail camera for years, without any success despite their abundance, until I completely buried the camera under the cover of snow. I'd imagine something similar would work for weasels.

I have heard about this tunnel/burrow technique, but I have yet to get the right materials, maybe a box and pipes with the right diameter, the camera should be focused correctly and accessible, etc.

I have a Zopu Gardepro A3 that captures a lot of rodents!!! and much smaller than rats. It's the only one of different models that I tested that does it, but I have only 1 and can not guarantee that all A3's cameras have the same sensitivity... in fact I bought a 2nd one and I had issues with it, then a Zopu A5 which triggers from a good distance, but not with very small animals...

Where we live, martens are much more elusive and endangered than weasels. Foxes, cats, minks, and raptors take their toll, but weasels seem to be common despite this.

(Under the assumption that you live in Europe, the "weasels" I'm referring to are actually stoats.)

Yes, we have both stoats and weasels in a larger area, but weasels are even more rare...

The place I'm talking about is in the countryside (not for long I fear) and Stone martens are the 4th most common mammals after cats (that's based on the number of pictures from my trailcameras, it's not a scientific statement about their real "abundance", and they are nocturnal so almost impossible to see, except for their feces sometimes), Pine martens are also present, as well as other of these little predators a few kilometers away (I see unusual feces from time to time, I guess Polecat and Genet, 1-2 times per year, not yet on camera)...

I have heard about this tunnel/burrow technique, but I have yet to get the right materials, maybe a box and pipes with the right diameter, the camera should be focused correctly and accessible, etc.
The concept of the small mammal camera trap shelter for our backyard is more complex than that.
Ideally, it should resemble something similar to a "hedgehog house."

(These are not my pictures.)

Of course, this concept is for a stationary setup, and it is not something that can be moved around.
And there is a risk that small mammals might actually breed inside, which would mean they would be disturbed if the trail camera was taken out afterwards. (Hedgehogs are absent where we live.)

Yes, we have both stoats and weasels in a larger area, but weasels are even more rare...

The place I'm talking about is in the countryside (not for long I fear) and Stone martens are the 4th most common mammals after cats (that's based on the number of pictures from my trailcameras, it's not a scientific statement about their real "abundance", and they are nocturnal so almost impossible to see, except for their feces sometimes), Pine martens are also present, as well as other of these little predators a few kilometers away (I see unusual feces from time to time, I guess Polecat and Genet, 1-2 times per year, not yet on camera)...

Where we live, stoats are called "weasels" and are smaller than the "long-tailed" weasel, our only other weasel.

In the US, what you call "weasels" are called "least" weasels because they are the smallest weasels, and they are absent from our area.

We have what we call "American martens" in New Hampshire, but there definitely aren't any "stone" martens in our area.
They are supposedly feral in the city of Milwaukee in Wisconsin, but aren't spreading anywhere else in the US.

The only "polecats" I've seen are domestic ferrets, and "genets" certainly aren't anything we'll ever see in the wild in the US.

I can't imagine a dog being able to catch and injure a weasel, A cat might, if exceptionally skilled. And weasels have evolved to live with foxes. However these balances do get upset in urban environments, so the buried pipe idea seems like a good one to me, to give them some kind of refuge. Maybe several in the yard, about 3" diameter.

I can't imagine a dog being able to catch and injure a weasel, A cat might, if exceptionally skilled. And weasels have evolved to live with foxes. However these balances do get upset in urban environments, so the buried pipe idea seems like a good one to me, to give them some kind of refuge. Maybe several in the yard, about 3" diameter.
Cats have been documented to prey on several species of weasel, it's not that unusual AFAIK - FWIW, you can find videos of cats preying on weasels (or the aftermath) on Youtube. I've even seen one from someone in the US whose cat brought in a live stoat that he managed to release later. Rarer than catching mice or lizards, but then again there's a huge number of unattended cats wandering about. Dogs catch all manner of critters that are more agile than themselves; it's not like they have to be particularly dexterous given the size discrepancy, at least as long as the dog isn't worrying much about getting bit by its prey. Irrespective of the actual success rate of either species, the disturbance is still there.

I can't imagine a dog being able to catch and injure a weasel, A cat might, if exceptionally skilled. And weasels have evolved to live with foxes.

Most predators catch their preys by stalking them, by surprise, ambush. They don't need to be more agile... Otoh wolves/dogs could only capture a weasel on a very open ground, by running faster, I suppose...

However these balances do get upset in urban environments, so the buried pipe idea seems like a good one to me, to give them some kind of refuge. Maybe several in the yard, about 3" diameter.

I fear that 3'' would be too much, here is a random quote from an article about Martens in Ireland : "pine martens can squeeze through gaps of 45mm in diameter" That's less than 2'' if I'm correct- and that would be a very small marten! (btw I see Stone/House and Pine martens as quite similar, with maybe more intraspecific variability in size)

I'm not sure which internal diameter to chose for the pipes... maybe 40mm (1 1/2'') would be fine then... it looks quite small, but these weasels & stoats are quite tiny! Or maybe +50mm pipes (2-3'') but restricted with solid 40mm entrance.

PVC pipes (and PVC box for a chamber) would be the easiest way I suppose, then cover this with some branches and other material... Also what would be the best placement, under trees, with some sun exposition, in the open? Burying pipes alone would be easier of course, provided they won't be filled with water and mud when it rains.

Maybe a specialist will read this thread and answer these questions?

Last edited:
I fear that 3'' would be too much, here is a random quote from an article about Martens in Ireland : "pine martens can squeeze through gaps of 45mm in diameter" That's less than 2'' if I'm correct- and that would be a very small marten! (btw I see Stone/House and Pine martens as quite similar, with maybe more intraspecific variability in size)

I'm not sure which internal diameter to chose for the pipes... maybe 40mm (1 1/2'') would be fine then... it looks quite small, but these weasels & stoats are quite tiny! Or maybe +50mm pipes (2-3'') but restricted with solid 40mm entrance.

PVC pipes (and PVC box for a chamber) would be the easiest way I suppose, then cover this with some branches and other material... Also what would be the best placement, under trees, with some sun exposition, in the open? Burying pipes alone would be easier of course, provided they won't be filled with water and mud when it rains.

Maybe a specialist will read this thread and answer these questions?
That suggestion was for me. The pipes are supposed to be protection from cats, dogs, and foxes, not martens.

There is a difference between squeezing through a gap and running through a tunnel or burrow.
A 2" pipe should stop most martens. Weasels are much better adapted to running through tunnels than martens.

Should a marten manage to force itself into a tunnel that small, it probably wouldn't try to attempt it very often afterwards.

Weasels have squeezed through gaps as small as 1" in diameter, but for an elongated tunnel, 2" should be sufficient to stop martens.

(Incredibly, a weasel can in fact not only squeeze through a 23 mm opening, but move through a tunnel of that diameter.)

Small Mammals - Common Weasels - Ecology Center

Last edited:
Hello, folks!

Those who've read my previous posts may be acquainted with my interest in weasels. In a former thread, I discussed the question about their elusiveness, and why they seem to have adapted so poorly to urbanized areas. (This question was never clearly answered.)
I had already posted a thread about creating weasel-friendly properties. But I had dismissed the idea that they would be roaming around our neighborhood.

Well, for the first time, I was excited to have possibly seen ermine tracks less than a mile from our house. The tracks were of a bounding animal, like a squirrel, but in a more open field habitat. One trackway seemed to lead into a tunnel under the snow. I also saw the tracks of tiny rodentlike mammals and their tunnels.
It figures that weasels would not be afraid of venturing into our town. The habitat, consisting of open fields, scrubby bushes, and large river, is ideal.
And a nearby out-of-town supermarket in fact once had a weasel invade while searching for mice.

Our neighborhood has many predators. Neighborhood cats roam around without restriction, dogs are often unleashed, and I even saw a red fox behind our house.
Unrestricted cats are also likely to kill rodents and bring them to their houses, depriving the forever-hungry predators of valuable sustenance in winter.
And worst of all, they are small enough that the cats may be killing the ermines themselves.

My question now concerns what I could possibly do to help them thrive in our neighborhood area. I had thought of preserving our rodent populations, but this sounds like a terrible idea. Does it?
Our lot is rather small, less than an acre. Our neighbors have mostly open lawns. The owner of the property piles up brush piles apparently every year, but I'm sure that they eventually clear them out. The unrestricted cats and sometimes even dogs venture into our yard.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we could do to contribute to assisting these mammals on our small woodlot? Does anyone have any ideas on how we could keep our yard a safe haven for them and the small mammals that they hunt?
Any input would be appreciated, especially from experience. Thanks! God bless!
I've had weasels not only on my property but in my house! I just love the beautiful, graceful creatures, and found this forum while checking Google to find out if they would eat cat food. My little guest, Herman the Second, has exterminated all the mice, and I'm afraid he will get hungry and leave.

He's only the second one I've seen indoors in six years, but I'm sure they are in my yard. I have a wild area west of the house and a 5-acre wildlife planting nearby. I keep the grass long for fireflies as long as they are active, then mow only to 4" or taller. There are many trees. All of this encourages wildlife. The long grass is home to cottontails, and they are prime food for weasels.

I never see them outdoors, though, because they prefer not to be seen. I would guess you have them in your yard too, and they are only hiding.

Weasels are fierce for their size, though very shy and certainly no threat to humans. I read once that in a battle between a weasel and a cat, the cat would be "destroyed." Cats have more sense than to attack a creature that could out-fight them, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Nor will the outdoor mouse population ever be depleted! In short, I guess you have weasels and that they are safe. May one come into your house!! Only if you want it there, of course. It's delightful to know you could see a graceful, snow-white ermine with a jet-black tail when you least expect it, or even feel it walking around on top of your blanket!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back