• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any tips to attract birds to window feeder? (1 Viewer)

magical4698

Italy
Hello everyone.
Recently, about two weeks ago, I got (my first) window feeder (acrylic material, roof for weather protection, three compartments) and a bag of mixed bird feed, both highly rated on Amazon.
I live in an apartment surrounded by big trees and I can see small birds come very close all the time.
I attached the feeder (to a window that is just a few feet from tree branches) using the suction cups and filled the bigger compartment with feed and the smaller two with fresh water.
Sadly it's been about two weeks and I had no luck yet. As far as I know not a single bird has even touched the feeder. I have been changing both the water and feed every 3 days.
Could anyone with a similar setup give me some tips? Thanks!

Last edited:
Patience is the key - it can take several weeks for birds to start using any feeder, particularly when there is plenty of natural food around. Other than that nearby shrubs help.

Hi magical and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. As Richard has said, be patient, it took months for the first bird to come to my window feeder, now I have an assortment. What is below you? My window overlooks some grass which no-one uses, so I throw some food down onto it - I believe that is what the birds first saw and attracted them in.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Good luck - I'm sure they'll come before too long, so please let us know what arrives.

Patience is the key - it can take several weeks for birds to start using any feeder, particularly when there is plenty of natural food around. Other than that nearby shrubs help.
Thank you Richard. I will wait a couple more weeks, I hope some birds will come by then. By the way, how often would you replace the feed/water (considering no one is using it yet)? I am currently replacing it every 3 days.
Hi magical and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. As Richard has said, be patient, it took months for the first bird to come to my window feeder, now I have an assortment. What is below you? My window overlooks some grass which no-one uses, so I throw some food down onto it - I believe that is what the birds first saw and attracted them in.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Good luck - I'm sure they'll come before too long, so please let us know what arrives.
Thank you! Right below me there are some plants/bushes facing a small road, with the trees in front of that. But I live in the upper part of the building so I don't think that would be very useful. However I will try putting some feed on the window ledge.

Last edited:
Not sure if it matters, but I keep the surrounding windows open since it's summer. Maybe I should try keeping them closed for a couple of days, see if that does anything.

Welcome aboard magical and do be patient. Sometimes it takes a bit for the birds to feel comfortable around them ;)

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

The other windows being open could well be putting them off. It does take time for birds to find new feeders.

Sometimes Windows don't always work out as a comfortable setting for birds. First, the reflections they see and second they sometimes hit the glass.

Thank you Richard. I will wait a couple more weeks, I hope some birds will come by then. By the way, how often would you replace the feed/water (considering no one is using it yet)? I am currently replacing it every 3 days.

Thank you! Right below me there are some plants/bushes facing a small road, with the trees in front of that. But I live in the upper part of the building so I don't think that would be very useful. However I will try putting some feed on the window ledge.
I live on an upper floor too, so it does work.

If there's bushes below you, they should be attracting birds to visit. Don't put too much feed in but you could leave the feed in the tray a bit longer. When you think it should be replaced use that to throw on the ground. I also put some on the window ledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back