• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone understand why ebird is not accepting pictures? (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
I have clear pictures of birds that have been acknowledged to be in the areas they were taken in yet they are not being accepted... I have already contacted ebird a week ago and haven't had a response, can anyone offer an explanation to what could be the issue?

None of the pics are edited but some pics are frames from videos as birds doesn't seem to allow video's- all are clear and easily identifiable. I have posted an example of one of the worst pics I have attempted to upload and the other photo I uploaded is pretty clear.

Attachments

• tempImagemQFMAA.png
    tempImagemQFMAA.png
    14 MB · Views: 42
  • 4FC739E8-3CD0-47D4-AEF1-37EA305E78B8_1_100_o.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 23
When you go to manage media, the text says
Maximum file size: 10 MB

Your png image here exceeds that at 14 MB. The other one says file format .jpeg rather than jpg. I do not know if this is a problem as the manage media states
JPG (preferred) or PNG
Niels

When you go to manage media, the text says

Your png image here exceeds that at 14 MB. The other one says file format .jpeg rather than jpg. I do not know if this is a problem as the manage media states

Niels
Strange because I posted images of the redneck and images of the glossy ibis which have the same properties.

Can you not upload the pictures into ebird or are these pictures of vagrants (regardless of whether they are known twitches or not) that are marked "unconfrmed"? If you can't upload the pictures it presumably is an issue with the photos themselves, perhaps too large or wrong file format as suggested by Niels.

If the issue is that you can upload the images but they are marked "unconfirmed" you just need to be patient for a (volunteer) ebird reviewer to review and, presumably, accept your record. Anything that is rare/unusual/higher count than what the reviewer sets the filter for will be automatically marked "unconfirmed" when you submit it and it will go into the review queue for the local reviewer(s) to assess before they mark the record confirmed or not.

Can you not upload the pictures into ebird or are these pictures of vagrants (regardless of whether they are known twitches or not) that are marked "unconfrmed"? If you can't upload the pictures it presumably is an issue with the photos themselves, perhaps too large or wrong file format as suggested by Niels.

If the issue is that you can upload the images but they are marked "unconfirmed" you just need to be patient for a (volunteer) ebird reviewer to review and, presumably, accept your record. Anything that is rare/unusual/higher count than what the reviewer sets the filter for will be automatically marked "unconfirmed" when you submit it and it will go into the review queue for the local reviewer(s) to assess before they mark the record confirmed or not.
It might be the second issue- though how can you tell if the image is unconfirmed? It’s strange because these pics haven’t been assessed for months.

It might be the second issue- though how can you tell if the image is unconfirmed? It’s strange because these pics haven’t been assessed for months.
??? I think you need to fully explain what is happening here as it is a bit unclear what exactly you mean by photos not being accepted. Which of the following applies to your image(s?):

Are the images visible in your checklist?
- Yes: then how do you know they are not accepted? The only indicator will be if it says "unconfirmed" under the photo (see image below)
- No: then it is not a matter of the photos being "accepted", there must be a formatting issue, as outlined above that is stopping your images from uploading - image too large, in wrong format etc. Whether or not the photos are uploaded into your checklist is not dependent on the bird species in question and it's rarity status. Review the ebird guidelines for submitting photos and make sure that you are operating within them

Capture.JPG

It is also worth noting that records (with or without media) can languish in review queues for months or longer depending on how many reviewers there are for the region and how active they are. I review for Colombia and the review queue is hopelessly long - over 50 000 records, over 6000 with media. Sometimes, patience is required :)

It is also worth noting that records (with or without media) can languish in review queues for months or longer depending on how many reviewers there are for the region and how active they are. I review for Colombia and the review queue is hopelessly long - over 50 000 records, over 6000 with media. Sometimes, patience is required
Time to consider if some of the filters are too stringent or cover areas too large. :)
Niels

Time to consider if some of the filters are too stringent or cover areas too large. :)
Niels
A major problem is the polygons for the filters - supposed to be based on habitat/elevation but in foothill areas in particularly this is completely useless (not to mention the fact that the elevation delineations are simply inaccurate much of the time) as you get a mix of lowland and mid-elevation/montane species. But, that won't be fixed by eBird central anytime soon and this is a discussion that I could go on and on about, but I won't ;)

Apologies- I’ve had assignment work and haven’t had time to reply- I’ll try and post the checklists here- how do I do this?

The images are being up uploaded but they aren’t being put through- which is strange because all birds sightings are already marked on ebird.

When you say they’re not being put through, what does that mean?

One issue is that your checklist might be too long. I can’t remember what the guidelines say but there is a cut-off for what is an acceptable duration for a single list. This would result in your checklist not being available to the public but remaining in your own personal data.

Another observation - surely you saw more than 8 species in 5 hours? Not sure if a checklist could be invalid because of that - but it feels unlikely to me.

When you say they’re not being put through, what does that mean?

One issue is that your checklist might be too long. I can’t remember what the guidelines say but there is a cut-off for what is an acceptable duration for a single list. This would result in your checklist not being available to the public but remaining in your own personal data.

Another observation - surely you saw more than 8 species in 5 hours? Not sure if a checklist could be invalid because of that - but it feels unlikely to me.
The weather was awful- those are the only species are saw during the extreme amount of rain and the heavy wind. Duration? We walked around two massive reservoirs- and with my dads health complications it took us slightly longer. If that's the issue then that seems like a strange error on ebirds part.

I also don't think that's the issue- my trip to see the black crowned heron was longer and yet it was accepted the next day.

Still unclear what the issue is, I can open the checklist and see photos under Greater Scaup and Northern Wheatear. Should there be more photos under other species? What o you mean by "not put through"?

Looking at the hotspot info I can see your checklist under "recent visits", so the checklist itself has not been marked "Not Public" (ie "invalid") due to a protocol error such as distance, or duration too long.

Still unclear what the issue is, I can open the checklist and see photos under Greater Scaup and Northern Wheatear. Should there be more photos under other species? What o you mean by "not put through"?

Looking at the hotspot info I can see your checklist under "recent visits", so the checklist itself has not been marked "Not Public" (ie "invalid") due to a protocol error such as distance, or duration too long.
I cannot see it- when I browse the submitted checklists from that location mine doesn’t appear.

My apologies- turns out it is visible… just confused because it my scaup pics do not turn up in my ebird image section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back