• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apples enjoyedby Tits. (1 Viewer)

Bea

Hi All

I remember seeing on Autumn Watch how wardens in the Shetland Isles overcame the lack of fruit for Waxwings by spiking apples on to branches. I thought I would give it a go too in the hope that Thrushes etc would find them.

So far the Starlings have knocked a few down but this morning I saw both Blue and a Coal Tits pecking away at them. There's plenty of other food available but they must have fancied a bit of fruit. I've never seen this before, is it unusual?

I've not seen the tits on the fruit, but the blackies and starlings love over ripe apples and pears. I have several nails sticking up on the fences on which I put the fruit. Over the last few days there has been a lot of activity on them. I also put some on the ground in the front garden, can't do it out back or the dog would be there first!!!

I put halved apples on to one of the apple trees, a Robin has had a peck or 2 but I have yet to see the Tits having a peck at the apples. I am waiting patiently for the Blackcaps that have enjoyed the apples the last few winters.

Hi Bea,

I put out halved pears (Conference) for the Blackbirds and I find that they eat the lot, core and skins and all (with apples I find that they leave the core and skin). They are on the ground so probably not as attractive to Tits and I've never seen any other birds eating them but the Blackies.

I will try wedging one onto the apple tree and see what happens.

Bill

This is very interesting as I put out halved apples and pears on the birdtable and ground and have yet to see any bird eating them! They usually just rot away ... Obviously the Hampshire birds aren't aware of the 5 a day recommendation.

The Blackbirds/Thrushes eat apples if I quarter them, Bea & put them on the grass, but I haven't spiked them to branches. Good tip, I'll try it.

Blackbirds, Starlings and occasionally Sparrows will eat apples from the floor in my garden. I must try the spike method. As Bill says, they will excavate the middles and leave the peel.

Baz.

I just slice any apple cores and pear cores that are left. Any fruit I cut into bite size pieces as I feel it stops the birds from squabbling so much.
Apples in my fruit bowl which are past their best, I cut into two and cut one half into pieces and safe the other half for next day.

Spreading the fruit around, divides the birds into their separate groups, and they feel safer with their own type. :t:

I feel that all birds are opportunists by nature, and if anything is edible they will eat it. My Woodies love a piece of apple and the Blackies a piece of Green Grape or two.

Funnily I went out into the garden the other day and 6 whole plums had appeared on the lawn for some reason. I never put them out at all. wonder where the Plums have come from - the Plum fairy. :eek!:

I feel if I pin any fruit on my fence on sticks the Squirrels will eat the lot. Squirrels are partial to a bit of fruit too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments folks.

I have always put fruit on the lawn (I buy bags of "seconds" apples and pears) but thought I would spike some in a tree as a trial. Must have been a one-off having the tits eat them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back