• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aquila .......? Lebanon 2015 -2021 (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
A friend of mine in Lebanon has a rescue and rehabilitation centre where he receives injured birds, the majority not surprisingly casualties of the indiscriminate bird shooting that continues there. This particular eagle was found injured and brought to him in 2015 so is now (see photos taken last month, Nov 2021) an adult (or almost), sadly unable to fly properly. The Aquila eagles that regularly migrate through the Levant are Booted, Lesser Spotted, Greater Spotted, Steppe and Eastern Imperial, young Golden Eagles occasionally turn up as have a few Tawny Eagles in Israel. To my (inexpert) eyes this seems to tick various boxes (pale iris, nostril shape, gape flange length, streaked ‘trousers’ and general colouration?) for a sub adult/adult Tawny Eagle and we would greatly appreciate input from you raptor experts out there.

Shukran in advance!

Attachments

• Eagle sp Lebanon 1.jpg
    Eagle sp Lebanon 1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Eagle spLeb2.jpg
    Eagle spLeb2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 70
A friend of mine in Lebanon has a rescue and rehabilitation centre where he receives injured birds, the majority not surprisingly casualties of the indiscriminate bird shooting that continues there. This particular eagle was found injured and brought to him in 2015 so is now (see photos taken last month, Nov 2021) an adult (or almost), sadly unable to fly properly. The Aquila eagles that regularly migrate through the Levant are Booted, Lesser Spotted, Greater Spotted, Steppe and Eastern Imperial, young Golden Eagles occasionally turn up as have a few Tawny Eagles in Israel. To my (inexpert) eyes this seems to tick various boxes (pale iris, nostril shape, gape flange length, streaked ‘trousers’ and general colouration?) for a sub adult/adult Tawny Eagle and we would greatly appreciate input from you raptor experts out there.

Shukran in advance!
Hi Richard
I always find judging the size of large raptors when they are alone v difficult. Without observer input to the relative scale it is almost impossible.
One species that you have missed off your list is Bonelli's, and this is a particularly confusing species when in juvenile plumage and perched. There are a number of features that match with Bonelli's in these photos IMO and it is more likely than Tawny in Lebanon

Afwan...

Hi Richard
a very special bird, especially if it is really in its 6th calendar year. Unfortunately we can see hardly anything to ID this bird, even the nostril shape is difficult to see. I'm afraid this bird must be handheld with underwings and undertail barring visible to get a good ID

Hi Richard
I always find judging the size of large raptors when they are alone v difficult. Without observer input to the relative scale it is almost impossible.
One species that you have missed off your list is Bonelli's, and this is a particularly confusing species when in juvenile plumage and perched. There are a number of features that match with Bonelli's in these photos IMO and it is more likely than Tawny in Lebanon

Afwan...
Thanks Muppit 17, you're dead right re. lone raptors, and perched too! I forgot Bonelli's (mainly because it's actually pretty rare through Lebanon, the status wrongly attributed on the Lebanese checklist IMHO (but let's not go there....), but wouldn't a Bonelli's at least 6 years old be in adult plumage?

Hi Richard
a very special bird, especially if it is really in its 6th calendar year. Unfortunately we can see hardly anything to ID this bird, even the nostril shape is difficult to see. I'm afraid this bird must be handheld with underwings and undertail barring visible to get a good ID
Thanks Tom, I hope my friend has given me the correct info re dates, this is the problem when doing things as a 3rd party!!!!

Thanks Muppit 17, you're dead right re. lone raptors, and perched too! I forgot Bonelli's (mainly because it's actually pretty rare through Lebanon, the status wrongly attributed on the Lebanese checklist IMHO (but let's not go there....), but wouldn't a Bonelli's at least 6 years old be in adult plumage?
I agree, it should be but with any captive bird who knows?, especially if injured.
If it is captive - some measurements, however rough, would be invaluable

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back