• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are vintage spotting scopes useful for birding? (1 Viewer)

John Dracon

John Dracon
Are vintage spotting scopes useful for birding? What may appear to be a rhetorical kind of question hinges obviously on the word, "vintage" which conjures up something very old.

Obviously, one has to talk about which vintage model when it comes to birding. Some are and some aren't. What got me thinking about this was that a package arrived in the mail a few days ago containing a Wollensak 20x Mirroscope. See www.monocular.info/wollen20x.htm for a nice description of that model.

I had forgotten I had left that particular piece at a very remote Montana cattle ranch I had visited in the late 1950s and had never returned to claim it. The rancher's wife now in her early nineties had kept it and remembered to whom it belonged. And with a keen mind and sense of honesty, she mailed it to me unexpectedly.

Its leather case was in mint condition and so was the mirror scope. So I had to put in on a tripod and see what it would do. According to the literature pulled off the net, it claimed 85% of light transmission and a field of 87' at 1000 yards/1 degree - 40 minutes. The ER was only 12 mm but with the eye cap unscrewed, it afforded a full field with eye glasses being worn. The exit pupil was listed at 2.3 mm.

Only nine (9) inches long and weighing less than nineteen (19) ozs with a 50 mm objective, it is quite compact. The finish is the black enamel of Zeiss quality. So how did it perform?

Obviously, its field was restricted, but it was reasonably bright on a very dull day. Getting to focus was a bit fuzzy, but I learned how to operate it again in a short time. Its most outstanding feature is that the image is sharp across the entire field. No falling off whatsoever. At 20 x it showed a nice image and would be useful for stationary birds way out there under ideal conditions.

It would not endure rough use and needs to be handled with care. I estimate it was made in the 40s or early 50s.

That prompted me to examine another vintage scope in my possession, a 20X Bausch and Lomb 40 mm draw-tube scope made in the 1950s. It goes by the name of Balscope Jr. It focuses down to 15 feet but has an ER of 9.5 mm which actually allows the full view without touching the glass, even though the exit pupil is only 2 mm It overall length with caps is 12 7/16" and it weighs 24 ozs, and it is all metal and glass. Beautifully finished it even has a special molded part of the tube to accept the standard 1'4 20 thread screw.

Its design was to accommodate pistol shooters in indoor ranges, but it has outdoor use as well. Birding? I would say yes, for quick peeks where the bird's identity was in question or when a tripod was available. While the FOV is only 75 feet, it, like the Wollensax, is sharp across the entire field.

The only other vintage scope in my possession is the Bausch & Lomb 60 mm Balscope Senior. If on a tripod or window mount, it is definitely a birding scope of great quality. This one was made in 1953, meaning it is over 60 years old. Yet it images are superb. B&L made a later zoom model which was significantly inferior to the fixed power Balscope Sr. which comes with screw in eye pieces of 15x, 20 x, 30x and 60 x.

Incidently, the Bushnell Rangemaster and B&L eyepieces are interchangeable.

The Balscope Sr. lacks rubber covering, but I covered one with oil tanned latigo leather with great success. The B&L will also accommodate a rotating turret which houses three (3) eye pieces for quick power selection, and this makes it very handy when looking at birds. I use the turret model all the time in my home even though I have several other high cost, state of the art spotting scopes.

For the person just getting into birding with limited resources, some of these old vintage spotting scopes , particularly the B&L and Bushnell models offer great value for minimum cost.

John

It's good that you identified quality models.

The B&L Discovery zoom spotter is a very impressive-looking 60mm unit with
severe chromatic issues over 35x. That was a surprise. It sold fast at the shop.
I priced it by quality..low. So...beware. I'd say the Balsopes are probably clearer.

A cheapie that's surprisingly good is the 40mm zoom Bushnell Powerview.
While the field is narrow, it stays fairly clean from 9 to 25x.(it goes to 30x)
Usable and real enough for the kids or parking on a distant point of interest or perch.

I've pondered the Balscope Sr. before. It bears a price on ebay that suggests people
know it's good.

Last edited:
Interesting post, thanks for making it.

I have always championed the thought that just because something newer and better in many ways comes along, the old stuff doesnt work any less well than it ever did.

Some vintage spotters are quite good. I have had B&L Balscope SRs that were were razor sharp. 20x was the best eyepiece. Very little CA at 20x. (60x was pretty bad for CA though). Balscopes were MF2 coated as well. I compared a Balscope to a Kowa TSN 82 series once. The Balscope was superior overall. Where it lagged was in the dusk, but what do you expect from a 60mm objective when compared to 80mm+

I have since sold off my Balscopes, I am conditioned from a lifetime shooting Service and Match Rifle with a 45 degree, so it's very hard for me to use a strait scope.

Why do i mention Balscopes? They were the finest spotters money could buy in the 50s-70's.
Today you can buy them for $70-300. I just sold a mint piece with paperwork, Freeland stand and box on the big auction site for $140.

Lens and prism technology has not really changed in 50 years, only coatings and eye relief/field of view in the eyepieces.

Last edited:
I recently met an old guy in the field who was using a Zeiss Jena Asiola 63/420. His scope was made in the 1970s, still with simple (blue) coatings. He had a full set of eyepieces (Zeiss Jena orthoscopics, 10mm, 16mm and 25mm). His sample was clean, with no internal dust, and the optical quality at 26x was IMO still excellent, even by today's standards, with a very sharp image with excellent resolution. You can find some info on the Asiola here: http://www.monocular.info/cz_asiola.htm. A shame I sold mine, after using it for something like five years, when the Leica Apo-Televid 77mm came out.

Another scope I saw in the field again recently after many years was my first "good" scope, a Kowa TS1, my first angled scope. Sure, times have moved on and it definitely can't compete with my Nikon Fieldscope, but it's a scope that still does its job. Still works pretty well for birding at 25x. So yes, old scopes are definitely still useful for birding.

Not all of them though. I've still got my first scope, a Nickel Supra 15-60x60 I bought used in 1980, and that's a scope I definitely wouldn't want to use anymore.

Herrmann

What about the Meopta Sport 25x70 (the 40x eyepiece is highly regarded as well)?
They seem to be quite common in Europe.

//L

Hello Hermann

"Not all of them though. I've still got my first scope, a Nickel Supra 15-60x60 I bought used in 1980, and that's a scope I definitely wouldn't want to use anymore".
A little harsh but probably true. It was a recommended scope back in early 1975 when I bought mine. I did like the leather case and strap which went very well under a rucksack and the scope could be used without support.
My first outing with the Nickel Supra was in the English Lake District where I scoped a golden eagle as it flew over the ridge and down the valley towards Haweswater. In 1975 telescopes were not common. Istill enjoy using draw tube telescopes and have a Swarovski 30x75 which I bought 5 years ago as pure indulgence. I still have my Nikon Fieldscope 11 (1991) for better or worse.
Robert

Digiscoped with the Nikon original Fieldscope from the 1980s, ED60.

20567145434_e9e0a3c5d2_o.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back