• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ash-throated vs brown-crested flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I saw this bird 1 month ago at the Hill Country State Natural Area near San Antonio, TX. I am uncertain if it is a brown-crested or ash-throated flycatcher. it doesn't seem to have prominent white wing bars like the ash does and the face seems darker like the brown-crested, but very faint yellow below and the books say the brown has slightly brighter yellow than the ash. any help please. _Q2A4227.jpg_Q2A4233.jpg

Brown crested has somewhat of a brighter yellow belly and the crest shows a shade of light brown to dull brown.
Its relative common in Central Pacific and north of the Tarcoles River where we bird everyday.
Randall Ortega
www.naturegroupcr.com
I thought it was worth adding this here for others viewing this thread. Here's why the brown crest of brown-crested is not a perfect character for distinguishing the species (see the initial photos of the thread):

So far, the only thing I'm aware of (apart from voice) is tail pattern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back