• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assumed Chiff Chaff at Felixstowe 7th Oct. (1 Viewer)

KenM

When first seen in total silhouette perhaps 5-7metres above with occasional tail pumping I assumed Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler. However it eventually moved higher up into the canopy and direct sunlight, constantly appearing and disappearing.

Although I never glimpsed the head, it eventually moved into a shaded position within the crown where I was able to get these ''ambiguous'' shots. I don't know if the ''perceived'' head pattern is real or actual (pixcellated foliage?), obviously I'm no stranger to the Phyllosc.group, I accept it does look odd and in order to retain sanity I'll have to default to Willow/Chaff....see what others think?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2350560.jpeg   Warbler sp2..jpeg
    P2350560.jpeg Warbler sp2..jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 178
  • P2350561.jpeg   Warbler sp 1..jpeg
    P2350561.jpeg Warbler sp 1..jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 162
My first thought was Baltimore Oriole, but the colours seemed a bit off, and haven't gotten around to checking the alternatives.

The colours are slightly brighter than the camera images, presume transfer processing from jpeg to thread may have been compromised? When I imaged from the iphone and sent to some colleagues currently in Shetland, their comments were that the yellow looked orange? There might be an issue with the camera when shooting into darkened areas I don’t know? That said with the naked eye whenever I was able to glimpse the “unders“ in direct sunlight it did look quite yellow, if only the little buggers would pose in good light. :(

Last edited:
against my better judgment to comment on an un-IDable chiffy-type bird but maybe altering the levels helps? (it appears to have black/dark feet and legs if that’s any help?)

Attachments

• 46A57DDD-F034-4822-BD7E-44EAA03DE023.jpeg
    46A57DDD-F034-4822-BD7E-44EAA03DE023.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 113
against my better judgment to comment on an un-IDable chiffy-type bird but maybe altering the levels helps? (it appears to have black/dark feet and legs if that’s any help?)

Thanks Deb I did note that and thought it ok for Chiffchaff albeit at variance to such a yellow under wash, this got me thinking Willow Warbler, however on enlargement I was somewhat taken aback by the “perceived” head pattern which I couldn’t place on “anything!” thus I defaulted to a WillowChaff...albeit a “bright one”. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back