• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlantic Canary (Serinus canaria) (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Currently treated as monotypic by most (all?) authorities. However, Bannerman & Bannerman (1965) on the volume about Madeira refer to the local birds as Serinus canarius canarius. This suggests that some subspecies have been described in the past.

I would appreciate any additional information / details concerning those former subspecies.

Gonçalo, the Richmond Index Lists:
  • Serinus canarius flaviserinus Trischitta 1939 (Richmond card here)
  • Serinus canarius germanicus Laubmann 1913 (ditto card here)
  • Serinus canarius polonicus Domaniewski 1917 (ditto x 3: here, here and here)
Hopefully of some help/use ...

But Bannerman and Bannerman don't. There must be some explanation for this.

Not sure what Bannerman & Bannerman's concept was, but beware that Serinus canaria (Linnaeus 1758) has been treated as including S. canaria serinus (Linnaeus 1766) as a subspecies...

Not sure what Bannerman & Bannerman's concept was, but beware that Serinus canaria (Linnaeus 1758) has been treated as including S. canaria serinus (Linnaeus 1766) as a subspecies...

You make a good point there Laurent. I will try to find out more about this.

Taken from the BWP on CD-ROM: copyright Oxford University Press.

Would you have the equivalent text for Serin, to see if Roselaar cites germanicus, polonicus, and the likes, under that species ?
(I have the printed books at home, but I'm not there right now. BTW : impressed that the CD-ROM version still works... ;))

Would you have the equivalent text for Serin, to see if Roselaar cites germanicus, polonicus, and the likes, under that species ?
(I have the printed books at home, but I'm not there right now. BTW : impressed that the CD-ROM version still works... ;))

Sure, here it is. Germanicus is mentioned, as you can see, but not polonicus.

Yes the CD-ROM works fine - probably because I still use Windows 7.

Attachments

• serinus serinus BWP.png
    serinus serinus BWP.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 12
Sure, here it is. Germanicus is mentioned, as you can see, but not polonicus.

Tanks, Gonçalo. Thus, at least Serinus canarius germanicus Laubmann 1913 is actually a synonym of Serinus serinus.
Bannerman & Bannerman 1965 seems to be later that most works that treated Canary and Serin as conspecific, but this may still have been the opinion of these authors, I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back