• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths 2014 (1 Viewer)

Blimey Phil, that's a good result. would both be lifers for me.

Sorry Bananafishbones, but it was a real surprise to me. Perhaps the warm air mass that seems to be over the London area at the moment is the cause. You can see my 'cheapo' trap. The Garden Tiger and a few more were inside the netting or around the back.

Regards, Phil

Attachments

• Jersey Tigers.JPG
    Jersey Tigers.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 108
Impressed with your haul Phil!...am just a few miles from you, and had my first ever Garden Tiger this am in 7 years of trapping...and am currently on my 2nd Jersey Tiger so far this year!

Cheers

Attachments

• Garden Tiger No.2..jpg
    Garden Tiger No.2..jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 104
Garden Tiger is having a good year for me and I anticipate that this was as a result of better weather conditions in the larval period this year than for a few years

All the best

Impressed with your haul Phil!...am just a few miles from you, and had my first ever Garden Tiger this am in 7 years of trapping...and am currently on my 2nd Jersey Tiger so far this year!

Cheers

Hi Ken, two Jerseys and one Garden last night. I was a bit confused by one of the small moths. Looks a bit like like Tree-lichen Beauty, but I'm sure you'll just say no that is xxx abundant species. Apologies if the photo is not good enough for identification. Phil

Attachments

• Garden Tigeremail.JPG
    Garden Tigeremail.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 88
  • Small mothemail.JPG
    Small mothemail.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 108
Hi Ken, two Jerseys and one Garden last night. I was a bit confused by one of the small moths. Looks a bit like like Tree-lichen Beauty, but I'm sure you'll just say no that is xxx abundant species. Apologies if the photo is not good enough for identification. Phil

Definitely a TLB! couple of weeks ago I had up to a dozen in and around the trap, have certainly had at least one most nights since. They can vary in patterning and slightly in size, but they are fairly obvious, when you get your ''eye-in''...dare I say a bit like Common Rustic. (Implying that they are variable, not to be confused with).

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks guys. BWP Moths (2003) implies they are rare, so a 'sort of moth equivalent to Small red-eyed Damselfly'. You really can't over estimate how interesting wildlife is. Fantastic. Thanks again. Phil

My original copy of Skinner (1984) does not even have Tree-lichen Beauty in it. When I saw my first at Dungeness in 2003, I had to write it in.

Mind you I also had to write in Southern Chestnut, Cypress Carpet, Channel Islands Pug and Irish Annulet as well (which may surprise some). The most impressive colonisation since that first edition is Cypress Carpet which within 30 years has gone from first record to colonising most of southern Britain - following in the footsteps of Blair's Shoulderknot.

All the best

Last edited:
Best last night was a Clay Triple-lines, and finally caught up with Scorched Carpet; Dusky Thorn was also new.

First few Square-spot Rustic of the year for me this week and last night Red Underwing out and about and Cypress Pug in the garden. The fat moth-er is beginning to gargle before bursting into song and my hopes of 1,000 leps in the year are rapidly fading as the year-list lingers in the 830's.

All the best

Nevermind Paul. You have almost doubled my life list (9 years) in less than a year. You're not doing badly there! Anyway, packing this morning to go camping I disturbed an Old Lady in the shed and she wasn't singing ;)

Andy M.

Nowt new for me this morning but a few returning species with Flame Shoulder, Pebble Prominent, Early Thorn and a very well marked Lychnis being the best.
Doing a friends garden in Manchester tonight so hopefully a change of patch will get me a few lifers.....
Dave

Attachments

• Pebble-Prominent.jpg
    Pebble-Prominent.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Lychnis.jpg
    Lychnis.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I trapped on the 6th at home with a 40w actinic and had 3 Jersey Tigers. In all I had 20 species 35 moths.

I trapped again on the 8th at work with a 125mv and had 20 species 70 moths. 2 new species were Rosy Rustic and Small square spot.

I have never had a Garden Tiger and when I go through the catch it's always on my mind that this time I might just have one.

To NFG/NFYs for me last night (my first in a week as I was away):

Svennson's Copper Underwing - 1
Rusty-dot Pearl - 1

Andy M.

This morning a Horse Chestnut in the trap appears to be the first modern county record and is a patch macro tick. (The only previous county record is Weston-super-mare on 10 August 1967.) A few bits and bobs over the last week or so but insufficient numbers yet to inspire me to update the yearlist!

All the best

Last edited:
First session last night for a week produced a few lifers with Pale Prominent, 2 x Yellow-Barred Brindle and Flounced Rustic.

A clutch of Copper Underwings, return of Poplar Hawk-moth, Brown China Mark and my first Square spot Rustic of the year. 24sp 120+ moths

Dave

Attachments

• Coppers.jpg
    Coppers.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Pale-Prominent.jpg
    Pale-Prominent.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 42
Yesterday walking at Studland NNR I found a few Silver Y's and a NFM micro - Epinotia ramella.

An almost empty trap at Durlston Country Park, Dorset this morning. Just 5 moths! 3 LBBYUs, 1 Large YU and a NFM micro - Cochylis molliculana (pic).

Andy M.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 35
Not a very good night last night. Only 10 moths in the trap. I wasn't expecting alot as it was clear and quite chilly but I thought there might have been a few more than that.

Not a very good night last night. Only 10 moths in the trap. I wasn't expecting alot as it was clear and quite chilly but I thought there might have been a few more than that.

poor night here too, although I did put the trap under the conifers to keep most of the forecasted heavy rain at bay. It did rain hard and heavy so I didn't expect more than the 40 moths that I did find. Really nothing special in the 7 species.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back